Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting 'orphan' files

First an admission. I've had iTunes since it come out and still haven't got a clue how it's supposed to work. I'm probably the the only person i nthe world who finds it totally conter-intuitive, and I get hopelessly lost whenever I try to have nything to do with it.

Be that as it may.

Is there an east way to delete all your 'orphans' - i.e. titles listen in iTunes which no longer have a file to play.

I now seem to have about 10 versions of every CD I've ever imported, but only a couple of them are any good (no idea why).

If I click to play one of these orphans (which are the vast majority off tracks now - because I've thrown away most of the rubbish that iTunes has created around my mac, (and just play my CDs in a CD player, like you're supposed to) I get this message: 'original file could not be found, would you like to locate it' and I want to scream NO NO NO. Just rid me of these ghosts!

I would like to do a 'delete all orphans' or something. Does such a thing exist by any chance?

Also, if I rename files on my hard drive, then import them, the tracks revert to the original names on the drive, as if I hadn't just renamed them.

Is this voodoo?

Thanks

Tom

Intel MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Model Name: MacBook Pro 15" Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1 Processor Name:

Posted on Nov 29, 2010 11:59 AM

5 replies

Nov 29, 2010 12:01 PM in response to TomBliss

Sorry - too many typos (in a hurry)

Trying again:

First an admission. I've had iTunes since it come out and still haven't got a clue how it's supposed to work. I'm probably the the only person in the world who finds it totally counter-intuitive, and I get hopelessly lost whenever I try to have anything to do with it.

Be that as it may.

Is there an easy way to delete all your 'orphans' - i.e. titles listed in iTunes which can no longer find a file to play.

I now seem to have about 10 versions of every CD I've ever imported, but only a couple of them are any good (no idea why).

If I click to play one of these orphans (which are the vast majority of tracks now - because I've thrown away most of the rubbish that iTunes has created around my mac, (and just play my CDs in a CD player, like you're supposed to), I get this message: 'original file could not be found, would you like to locate it' and I want to scream NO NO NO. Just rid me of these ghosts!

I would like to do a 'delete all orphans' or something. Does such a thing exist by any chance?

Also, if I rename files on my hard drive, then import them, the tracks revert to the original names on the drive, as if I hadn't just renamed them.

Is this voodoo?

Thanks

Tom

Nov 29, 2010 12:03 PM in response to TomBliss

Browse [Dougscripts|http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scriptcount.php?sortBy=Name& op=y] - Many itunes scripts

Some of those orphans may really have files to play, they have just lost track of them.

Can't track on your file renaming thing. The name of a file isn't what is used to display the information in iTunes. There's additional data (tags) written onto files that store that information.

Dec 9, 2010 5:24 AM in response to TomBliss

For the benefit of anyone else who drops by - this is what I did.

I opened the Music folder and just went through deleting everything. Those that had lost their linked files disappeared, and those that had not asked a question if I wanted to delete, so I could opt in or out at that point.

Took a while but the junk has finally departed.

Deleting 'orphan' files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.