Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrate Applications to reformatted drive

I have an Intel iMac that I ran disk utility on and it came back that some system files were bad and I should reformat the drive. If I run Carbon Copy Cloner, then wipe the drive and install OS 10.6 can I then migrate (using migration assistant and the CC backup) my data and Applications e.g., MS Office, Apple Pages, etc.? In other words will I be able to put MS Office back with all the installed updates or will I have to install Office from the original disks and then do all the upgrades?
Thank you,
Linda

Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Nov 29, 2010 12:08 PM

5 replies

Nov 29, 2010 12:13 PM in response to Linda in Phoenix

Assuming you use CCC (or SuperDuper) to create a bootable clone on an external HD OR if you use Time Machine to backup you are in good shape. After reformatting the internal HD and then installing OS X the last step will ask if you want to restore from Time Machine or another volume. If you use TM the answer is obvious, if you use CCC select the volume and follow the on-screen prompts. Overall it's a very simple process. Once the process has finished your computer should look identical to how you left it prior to the format.

Here is a fairly good video that explains how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0K-mD8rAyA&feature=related

Roger

Migrate Applications to reformatted drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.