Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPAD WiFI and 5Ghz Band problems

Like many other users, my iPad is giving me grief connecting to WiFi after the 4.2.1 update. It seems that there may be a 5 Ghz band issue with 4.2.1. At work, we switched to a new WIFi router using only the 5 GHz band and I could not connect after the 4.2.1 update. On the previous iPad OS I had no problems. At Home I have an Airport Extreme that is broadcasting on the 2.4 GHz band and no issues with the iPad under 4.2.1 or the old 3.2 iOS.

At work, we tried running up the old router that uses the 2.4GHz bands and my iPad works fine on it.

So it looks like either iOS 4.2.1 does not like the 5GHz band for WiFi.

Those who are having issues, if you can switch to the 2.4GHZ bands try it to see if it solves your issues. If so report here to confirm or deny my findings.

iMac 20" dual Core 2.0, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Nov 29, 2010 1:56 PM

8 replies

Dec 6, 2010 2:06 PM in response to Fhybr

Yep. 5 GHz definitely appears to be a problem with my iPad (64GB + 3G). I have an Airport Extreme dual band. When I connect the iPad to the 5 GHz band, the speedtest.net app shows a download speed of 0.020 Mb/s (yes, 20 kb/s). Connecting to the 2.4GHz band gets me 1 to 1.5 Mb/s of download speed. I can switch back and forth and the results are consistent. I've tried moving the channel around via manual configuration of the AE, but it doesn't make a difference. The 5 GHz band seems to work fine with my iMac.

Dec 6, 2010 2:32 PM in response to nike_runner__

AE is set up dual band (plus Guest access). 2.4GHz is channel 1 and 5GHz is set to automatic (which selects channel 149, but, as noted, changing the 5 GHz channel didn't help). AE software is up-to-date.

I'm actually not jumping up and down screaming about this, because for me it's not a huge problem. The iPad works fine on the 2.4 GHz band, and I've seen lots of other threads reporting this problem with the 4.2.1 firmware, so I assume Apple's aware of the problem and will eventually have a fix. I only posted because the OP asked if there were other folks in his same boat.

The thing that I am a wee bit ticked about is that I get better throughput with Guest access than with non-guest. Download speeds with Guest are about 1.5 Mb/s instead of 1.0 Mb/s with non-guest. I assume the encryption is handled in hardware rather than by the iPad's A4, so that doesn't explain the difference. Not a huge deal but annoying; since I want to use AirPlay and (eventually) AirPrint, I'm stuck with the slower access speed. But I figure this is probably a problem with the AirPort Extreme rather than the iPad. And it's not so annoying that I won't just tolerate it until Apple fixes the 5 GHz problem.

Jan 11, 2011 12:40 AM in response to Fhybr

I have also problems with the 5GHZ band. I use a sitecom WL350 router
When the ipad wakes up it can see the 5ghz band but can't connect to it, but the 2.4GHZ band is no problem. However, when i first connect to the 2.4 ghz band, i can than switch to the 5 ghz band without problems.

I use the 5ghz band because the download speed is a little higher (30Mb) and more important more stable. The speed of the 2.4ghz band drops very often to a rate that's to low for my slingbox to stream video content

Feb 9, 2011 10:51 PM in response to styles01

styles01 wrote:
It seems that there's no connection on 5Ghz. Spoke to a Genius at the Apple store. He says that 5ghz is a no-go for iPad 1 right now.

That is not true. iPad definitely supports 802.11n on 5GHZ band.

I have a D-Link DAP-1522 Access Point at home and my iPad has no trouble at all connecting to it on 5GHZ band with WPA2 security. I also have successfully connected to other routers on 5GHZ band at a few friends' places. No issues for me with either old 3.2.2 or the latest 4.2.1 firmware.

As for 2.4GHZ band, no problem either. My iPad can connect to my Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH router just fine.

iPAD WiFI and 5Ghz Band problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.