Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have To Enter Password Twice to Log In to Snow Leopard on my iMac

*Why Do I Have To Enter My Password Twice to Log In to Snow Leopard on my iMac?*

It just started happening a couple of weeks ago but I have no idea what I changed at that point.
There's a normal login screen where you can choose a user and enter a password. Then it goes to a completely blank screen for a few seconds and the same login scree reappears and I have to choose the user and enter the password again. Then it logs in.
What is going on? HOw do I fix it?
(please note that I do not want automatic login to one of the user accounts - I want to use this as a protection against access to my computer should someone steal it etc...)

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Nov 30, 2010 6:27 AM

20 replies

Nov 30, 2010 2:55 PM in response to Lance000

Disconnect all peripherals from your computer. Boot from your install disc & run _*Repair Disk*_ from the utility menu. To use the Install Mac OS X disc, insert the disc, and restart your computer while holding down the C key as it starts up.
Select your language.
Once on the desktop, select Utility in the menu bar.
Select *Disk Utility.*

Select the disk or volume in the list of disks and volumes, and then click *First Aid.*
Click _*Repair Disk.*_
Restart your computer when done.

Repair permissions after you reach the desktop- http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25751 and restart the computer.

Results?

Dec 1, 2010 6:12 AM in response to CMCSK

That's crazy. Thanks for your help, but there has to be another way. I just finished erasing and reinstalling snow leopard a month ago. Everyone at apple says it only takes an hour but after you've reinstalled all third-party software and reconfigured everything, you've lost about 8 hours of your day. I can't believe there is no other way to fix this problem.

ANYONE FROM APPLE OUT THERE??

Dec 1, 2010 8:47 AM in response to Lance000

Unfortunately if it is affecting all users a reinstall of Snow Leopard is the most likely thing to solve the problem. You could try booting in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key hen booting. If this solves the problem then it is likely caused by a third party kernel extension and you would have to uninstall it or update it.

Dec 1, 2010 3:43 PM in response to Lance000

Lance000 wrote:
Does anyone from Apple have any suggestions??

No.

These are user-to-user forums where everyday folk post questions and offer answers to each other. If you have Apple Care or still under warranty, call them. Your other alternative is to take the computer to an Apple store or an AASP. Whichever is more convenient for you.

That's crazy.
I just finished erasing and reinstalling snow leopard a month ago.

Why is reinstalling the combo crazy? You are not erasing your drive. All you are doing is installing a more fuller update on top of the lesser update from Software Update. It does not take hours unless you are on dialup.

Dec 1, 2010 4:00 PM in response to CMCSK

sorry - maybe I didn't completely understand your suggestion. I just read "reinstall snow leopard" and thought you were suggesting I take my original snow leopard install disk and choose to reinstall.

What do you mean a "more fuller update" from software update? Do you mean the updates I automatically get from apple software update are not actually the latest snow leopard updates? I'm very confused.

As for apple care - it ran out several months ago - but I highly doubt they could resolve this situation either. they're generally pretty useless and typically solve most problems by saying to reinstall everything. That's the reason I left Dell - all they could do to solve any situation was to say erase your drive and reinstall everything. Like I couldn't think of that myself.

This may be a user forum, but I'm pretty confident there are Apple staff helping people out on here.

Dec 1, 2010 4:19 PM in response to Lance000

What do you mean a "more fuller update" from software update? Do you mean the updates I automatically get from apple software update are not actually the latest snow leopard updates? I'm very confused.

No that is not what I was saying. Read all about the Snow Leopard combo update for yourself - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1324

they're generally pretty useless and typically solve most problems by saying to reinstall everything.

That has never been my experience with Apple Care the few times I have used it.

This may be a user forum, but I'm pretty confident there are Apple staff helping people out on here.

Not the case here. Hate to bust your confident bubble. These forums are strictly user to user.
"Apple staff" do chime in from time to time in the Feedback forum area if you are having problems with the discussion website. Never for technical issues. Read the Terms Of Use.

Dec 1, 2010 4:44 PM in response to CMCSK

sorry CMCK - I guess I'm a bit slow...or a lot slow.

I still don't understand. According to the kb, my system has automatically installed the combo update (along with all other updates).
Are you saying I should manually download and reinstall it myself even if the automatic update tells me I don't need any updates?
Will this affect my third party software settings such as office for mac or skype or anything like that?

Dec 1, 2010 4:53 PM in response to Lance000

Lance000 wrote:
sorry CMCK - I guess I'm a bit slow...or a lot slow.

Neither! It's a learning experience. I probably didn't explain the difference clearly. See macjack's explaination - http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2517567&tstart=15 and
a brody's explaination - http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2381753&tstart=14

Are you saying I should manually download and reinstall it myself even if the automatic update tells me I don't need any updates?

Yes. Combo updates are also troubleshooting tools.

HTH

Have To Enter Password Twice to Log In to Snow Leopard on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.