I have spent most the day trying to recover a restrictions password for a friend who lives in a group home. Her ipad was on my id and I set the restrictions because I didn't know who all would have access to her ipad and I didn't know how to prevent accidental purchases at the time. But it's been 6 months or more since I've seen her. I wanted to update some apps and I couldn't remember the passcode. It's taken most the night but in 8 minutes, I'll know if your solution worked, DreaRoss.
My biggest frustration is that I'm at my mom's and so I had to download itunes, back up everything, then download iphonebackup extractor. For $30, it will run the restrictions password key for you, but I didn't have any method of payment with me and frankly, Christmas broke me. So I stuck to the free version.
My biggest frustration was trying to find the things talked about in this thread. This was an old thread and I couldn't make it work for ios 8.1.2
So here's a step by step of what I did.
1) download itunes. back up the ipad manually to the computer. This took a long time, btw.
2) download iphone backup extractor
3) select the backup to open -- easy because I only had one and it was in the default folder
4) click on the tab that said "expert"
5) select "home domain"
6) select "library"
7) select "preferences"
8) find "com.apple.restrictionspassword.plist" I looked all night for this file!!
9) click "extract" Because I have the free version, there was a 10 second delay
10) click "continue"
11) I saved the folder on my desktop
12) I clicked to open it and when it asked which program, I opened in notepad
13) I looked for this string: (x's represent characters that were my key)
14) googled ios7hash and pasted the first string where it said "RestrictionsPasswordKey" and the second where it said "RestrictionsPasswordSalt"
It found my code in a few seconds.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! This made my night!