Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 49168 when attempting to create Disk Image

After attempting to create a disk image of a specific CD, I have been unable to create a disk image from any folder or volume. Every time I try, I get (toward the end of the dmg creation prcess) "Unable to create (...) - error 49168."
Creating a blank disc image still works fine.
Judging from my attempts to find answers, this seems to be a rare problem.

iBook G4 12", Mac OS X (10.4.3), 1.33 GHz

Posted on Dec 12, 2005 8:24 AM

12 replies

Nov 17, 2015 8:32 AM in response to Aksel-J

I just got the same error and have been looking around Google and elsewhere online. It seems to be rare but I haven't yet found a very good fix, the only thing I've found is this: http://tinyurl.com/d52l4 I'm currently trying that and I'll report back to let you know if it works

All I did from the link was copy the contents of the folder I was trying to burn into a new folder and everything worked just fine. I suppose it had something to do with the permissions of the previous folder. Anyway, hope that helps.

iBook G4 Mac OS X (10.4.3) 1.07GHz, 512 RAM, 60GB HD

Dec 19, 2005 2:17 PM in response to Community User

I can, as stated in the link, create blank disk images and fill these. I do need to create exact images once in a while, though. The failure occurs at the very end of the process, after "finishing". All my permissions are in order, and copying files to another folder does not help, as the problem is universal. I might have to go for a software restore.

Anyway, the error does have a code, so I wish Apple would run the numbers. A more thorough error code lookup would be appreciated.

But anyway, thanks for responding, Michael. 49168 must be a rare disease.

Dec 25, 2005 8:49 PM in response to Aksel-J

Has anyone determined what the error number 49168 represents? I'm experiencing this rare problem everytime I attempt to create a disk image of a folder. I tried verifying and ensuring permissions are correct on both the source and destination, but it fails everytime with this same error. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Feb 13, 2006 10:17 AM in response to Aksel-J

I was running Symantec AntiVirus 10 corporate, which doesn't include the AutoProtect or QuickMenu preference panes. I had no problems creating disk images until I downloaded and ran a separate installer for these preference panes. In a bit of irony, now that I have the QuickMenu, I can easily disable SAV 10 AutoProtect when I need to make a disk image. Norton/Symantec has cause more problems like this than any other piece of software on the Mac platform.

Error 49168 when attempting to create Disk Image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.