Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator Search for File Names

Hello! I've been tasked with delivering two sets of photos to a client. I have a folder of JPEG versions of the photos that are the "selects" or picks desired by the client. However, I also need to deliver the accompanying RAW photo files (.CR2 and .XMP). All of these files share the SAME file name except for the extension. All the the RAW photo files are in separate folders from the JPEGs.

My goal is to create an automation that will extract the file name of the jpeg, send it to the finder for a search, and copy the .CR2 and .XMP files into a destination folder.

The "Find Finder Items" action requires individual data to be typed in and doesn't seem to be a good fit for what I need. Please let me know if Automator is able to help me out with this, if there is another program better suited for this kind of automation, or if I just have to do it manually. The only other thing I can think to do is a well choreographed "Watch Me Do" lol!

Thanks!

Xserve, Mac Pro, G4, iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Nov 30, 2010 12:22 PM

5 replies

Dec 2, 2010 1:27 PM in response to ChristinaC

The third-party Compare Folders action might work: http://automatorworld.com/archives/compare-folders . It compares two folders, with the option of ignoring file extensions, so that 1.jpg in the source folder will match 1.cr2 in the target folder. But if, as you say, the RAW files are in several separate folders, then the action would need to be run repeatedly against different targets--OR, if you want to do things quickly, copy all the RAW files into a single target folder to perform the comparison and gather the files you need.

Feb 27, 2012 2:46 PM in response to ChristinaC

well, I don't suppose that it's really relevant after all this time) but as I haven't found good solution to similar problem and found this thread I wrote this automator/shell script so I put it here in case it could be useful for someone. It asks for jpeg and raw folders and copies matching raws to 'select raws' folder on the same level as original jpeg folder (it's easily customized though)

It can be downloaded from:

http://altert.net/uploaded/raws.app.zip

Automator Search for File Names

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.