Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

got new router, now powerbook G3 pismo wont connect to it.

asked cable company to replace router as i was paying for 60 meg connection but due to moving my router to connect to my dreambox i realised that the router only had 802.11g wifi and so my computer wasnt able to connect fast enough to use the connection. when watching football or downloading big files i ran an ethernet cable across the room which wasnt ideal.

they replaced it with a new router capable of 802.11n today an rewired the cabling so both my mac and dreambox have ethernet connections.

when they were here i went to test it with wifes powerbook but battery was dead so i tested with my palm tx and it connected fine..

however...

wifes powerbook gives an error and wont connect. part of me thinks its due to the powerbook being 802.11b and the router not handling that, but my palm tx is 802.11b so thats not a reason surely? checked and psp, wii, nokia phone all connect but powerbook gives error.

if it is, can i just stick a pc usb 802.11g or n stick into the powerbook's usb (1) slot and make it connect?

G3 powerbook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Dec 1, 2010 4:56 PM

6 replies

Dec 1, 2010 7:16 PM in response to madeirabhoy

Are you certain you connected all the way to the Internet with your palm, and not just to the Router?

cable company

The cable company has to perform a "deep reset" to allow you to use a new device with a new M.A.C. Address. Your connection was established with an older M.A.C. Address, and that (your old Router) is the only device that can be connected until they do this.

Call them and tell them, "I got a new computer, and you guys have to reset your equipment to accept the new device in place of the old one."

-----

almost every 802.11n Router has a mode that will allow it to pause for an instant and "sniff" for slower devices. It slows your network down by an imperceptible amount. Not an issue in home networks. But you may have to configure it to do so.

Dec 2, 2010 3:27 AM in response to madeirabhoy

Any current 802.11n compliant router will have no problems using the a, b, g, and n protocols. If the cable company installed the new router, they should have updated their own server to recognize the new MAC address. Since you had issues with the PowerBook and were not able to test with ir immediately, have you updated the network information in the PB? Have you reselected the network and entered all of the security information? And what security level are you using, WEP, WPA, or higher?

As Grant said, the router should have no issues with accepting different devices running different protocols...that is what the IEEE standard specifies.

Dec 2, 2010 6:13 AM in response to madeirabhoy

Does your Pismo have an internal Airport card or an external PCMCIA wireless card?

Download & install MacStumbler to see if you can detect the router. http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/8035/macstumbler The page says it won't work with a PCMCIA wireless card, but it worked on my Pismo running Tiger.

A USB wireless stick would probably work, but be very slow since the Pismo only has USB 1.1 speeds.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

User uploaded file

Dec 2, 2010 7:26 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

right, i can get into the hub now.

its definitely nothing to do with the cable company's server, every other machine can connect with the router and surf the internet, including my palm tx on the wifi.

in the router settings its ticked enabled
ticked SSID broadcast
channel automatic
802.11 mode "802.11b/g/n" (i have the option of changing it to b/g mixed)
WPS isnt enabled
Security is "WPA and WPA2"
Preshared key is as i have written down and its "ASCII"
Encryption Algorithm is "TKIP and AES"
Mac Filtering is disabled.

got new router, now powerbook G3 pismo wont connect to it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.