Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Repairing permissions does not repair permissions!

2956 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2011 8:39 PM by Deezl RSS
Ziatron Level 4 Level 4 (3,255 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 1, 2010 6:51 PM
When I repair permissions for 10.6.5 I get stuff like:

Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/jconsole.ja r".
Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/dt.jar".
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/dt.jar".
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/VisualVM.bundl e/Contents/Home/profiler3/lib/deployed/jdk16/hpux-pa_risc2.0w/libprofilerinterfa ce.sl".

Permissions repair complete:

When I re-run repair permissions it repairs all the same stuff over again! (Shouldn't it now be fixed)?

It seems like all of the errors being found are related to Java. I went to Apple's website and installed the latest version of Java. My permissions problem is persisting.

When I had OS 10.5 and repaired permissions, they GOT and STAYED repaired.
  • J D McIninch Level 5 Level 5 (4,060 points)
    Dec 1, 2010 7:03 PM (in response to Ziatron)
    Repairing permissions simply resets the permissions and ownership to the values listed in the BOM (bill of materials) file that was left behind by the installer. However, in many cases, the correct ownership and permissions is actually defined post-installation. In those cases, there's typically something that enforces the proper values in case they change.

The practical upshot, of course, certain files will never have repairable permissions. If you search the Apple support site, there's a knowledgebase article on the topic.
    2 iMacs (me + kids), 2 MacBook Pros (work + wife), iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.6.4), various Linux PCs and one WinXP laptop (gathering dust)
  • Dale Weisshaar Level 6 Level 6 (15,855 points)
    Dec 1, 2010 7:49 PM (in response to Ziatron)
    Here's one.

No need to report Permissions errors....we all get them.

  DALE

MacPro, 3.0GHz Dual C., 5 GB, X1900, 30"ACD,Airport Extreme,HP C7180 Printer,, Mac OS X (10.6.5), G4 Gigabit E. 1GHz OWC 10.4.11, 1.62MB MacBook Pro Late '08, 15", 2.4GHz, 4GB
  • Donald Palmer Level 4 Level 4 (2,170 points)
    Dec 1, 2010 7:49 PM (in response to Ziatron)
    It is a known condition with the Java files.
    This was brought up during the testing of 10.6.5 with each seed release.
    It's here for now and doesn't cause any problems with the system.
    So it's more of a condition than a problem.
    MacPro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • Dale Weisshaar Level 6 Level 6 (15,855 points)
    Dec 1, 2010 8:29 PM (in response to Ziatron)
    Ziatron wrote:

Perhaps a better reply would be “This Issue Ignored” or “I don't know what to do with this” or "Hey, It's Java".

Yes! I can understand! Many many posters here ask similar questions as yours.

Dale
    MacPro, 3.0GHz Dual C., 5 GB, X1900, 30"ACD,Airport Extreme,HP C7180 Printer,, Mac OS X (10.6.5), G4 Gigabit E. 1GHz OWC 10.4.11, 1.62MB MacBook Pro Late '08, 15", 2.4GHz, 4GB
  • J-e-L-L-o Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    Thanx for the clarification. I was going to ask this specific topic as well.
    13in 2.4Ghz macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 4GB
  • Eric Holterhoff Calculating status...
    Dec 3, 2010 1:52 AM (in response to Ziatron)
    Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/jconsole.ja r".
    Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/dt.jar".
    Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/dt.jar".
    Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/VisualVM.bundl e/Contents/Home/profiler3/lib/deployed/jdk16/hpux-pa_risc2.0w/libprofilerinterfa ce.sl".

Permissions repair complete:

I'm getting the same ones...over and over again..Updated to 10.6.5 and ran DiskWarrior...without Success..
    iMac 2.92Ghz, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • Donald Palmer Level 4 Level 4 (2,170 points)
    Read the previous postings...
    MacPro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • William M. Level 1 Level 1 (140 points)
    It seems that all the details generated during a Repair Permissions cycle are unnecessarily troubling to the average user (like most of us). Line after line of "repairs" are noted which falsely lead us to believe that there was something "wrong" that needed repairing, when that's not really the case. I would rather have all those "normal" repairs suppressed and only the ones that really mattered show up. Or do any of them really matter anymore? How can you tell if something was bad that really needed to be repaired or if all that gibberish was indicating that everything is okay?
    24" 2.8 GHz Intel iMac (mid 2007), Mac mini (mid 2010), iPod touch 4g 64GB, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • Deezl Calculating status...
    Jan 4, 2011 8:39 PM (in response to Ziatron)
    Try it in safe mode.
    Macbook Pro 7.1, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.