Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repairing permissions does not repair permissions!

When I repair permissions for 10.6.5 I get stuff like:

Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/jconsole.ja r".
Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/dt.jar".
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/dt.jar".
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/VisualVM.bundl e/Contents/Home/profiler3/lib/deployed/jdk16/hpux-pa_risc2.0w/libprofilerinterfa ce.sl".

Permissions repair complete:

When I re-run repair permissions it repairs all the same stuff over again! (Shouldn't it now be fixed)?

It seems like all of the errors being found are related to Java. I went to Apple's website and installed the latest version of Java. My permissions problem is persisting.

When I had OS 10.5 and repaired permissions, they GOT and STAYED repaired.

Posted on Dec 1, 2010 6:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2010 7:03 PM

Repairing permissions simply resets the permissions and ownership to the values listed in the BOM (bill of materials) file that was left behind by the installer. However, in many cases, the correct ownership and permissions is actually defined post-installation. In those cases, there's typically something that enforces the proper values in case they change.

The practical upshot, of course, certain files will never have repairable permissions. If you search the Apple support site, there's a knowledgebase article on the topic.
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2010 7:03 PM in response to Ziatron

Repairing permissions simply resets the permissions and ownership to the values listed in the BOM (bill of materials) file that was left behind by the installer. However, in many cases, the correct ownership and permissions is actually defined post-installation. In those cases, there's typically something that enforces the proper values in case they change.

The practical upshot, of course, certain files will never have repairable permissions. If you search the Apple support site, there's a knowledgebase article on the topic.

Dec 3, 2010 1:52 AM in response to Ziatron

Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/jconsole.ja r".
Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/dt.jar".
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/dt.jar".
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/VisualVM.bundl e/Contents/Home/profiler3/lib/deployed/jdk16/hpux-pa_risc2.0w/libprofilerinterfa ce.sl".

Permissions repair complete:

I'm getting the same ones...over and over again..Updated to 10.6.5 and ran DiskWarrior...without Success..

Jan 4, 2011 8:07 PM in response to Dale Weisshaar

It seems that all the details generated during a Repair Permissions cycle are unnecessarily troubling to the average user (like most of us). Line after line of "repairs" are noted which falsely lead us to believe that there was something "wrong" that needed repairing, when that's not really the case. I would rather have all those "normal" repairs suppressed and only the ones that really mattered show up. Or do any of them really matter anymore? How can you tell if something was bad that really needed to be repaired or if all that gibberish was indicating that everything is okay?

Repairing permissions does not repair permissions!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.