Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a "Private" App Store for Enterprise Deployment?

I've heard that there is a way to distribute apps for an enterprise account by using a "private" app store that only members of your team can see. However, the only deployment method I found involves manually handing over a new version of the app every time it's updated. Is there a way to upload an app to the app store that only members of my enterprise team can view and download? This would make distributing and updating the app much simpler.

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 7:11 AM

6 replies

Apr 21, 2011 9:09 AM in response to jpelletier08

Check out Apple's documentation here:

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#featuredarticles/FA_Wireless_Enterprise_ App_Distribution/Introduction/Introduction.html

The section under Deploying Applications talks about how to do this wirelessly.

There is no "private app store" that is run by Apple. You would need to put the infrastructure in place to deploy your corporate apps to your users as described in the docs.

Apr 28, 2011 5:33 PM in response to jpelletier08

Additional options:

Apperian EASE (http://www.apperian.com/ease) lets you build a custom "app catalog" that runs as a native app, and which you can build with your enterprise credentials and branding. This app catalog is then able to distribute, update, and track all your apps. Apperian also has an SDK so that any apps you build can do authentication/authorization, version checking, and reporting, but this is optional.

TestFlightApp (www.testflightapp.com) which is a web-based approach that uses profile installation to grab UDIDs, good for single app distribution to a small group. This is more for 'ad-hoc' builds but they have a link on their site saying that they will offer enterprise support.

Deploy your own webpage (create XML file per the OTA spec). This approach is relatively easy but you don't have any ability to update users, track what version they have, or manage apps that are distributed.This may also have some potential security issues if it's an "open" URL.

May 2, 2011 4:38 AM in response to jpelletier08

If you have a Mobile Device Management solution, this is easy as pie.

Depending on which MDM solution you go with, it works a little bit differently in each case, but basically you build your app using an enterprise provisioning profile and then use the MDM to push that app and that profile to your managed devices.

You can also, again depending on the vendor, create a custom "app store" where you offer in-house apps. The list of apps they see can even be customized based on the user, department, or device. So you can, for instance, make sure that the iPad only engineering app you develop can only be seen by users with an iPad who work in engineering.

I don't want to get into specific product recommendations, but if you just search for "iOS MDM" in your favorite search engine, you'll find plenty of options.

Jul 25, 2012 10:36 AM in response to chuckfromboston

Sorry for the necropost -- could you point me to the specification mentioned in this comment?:

chuckfromboston wrote:

Deploy your own webpage (create XML file per the OTA spec). This approach is relatively easy but you don't have any ability to update users, track what version they have, or manage apps that are distributed.This may also have some potential security issues if it's an "open" URL.

Thanks!

Is there a "Private" App Store for Enterprise Deployment?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.