Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't past text into "Comments" section in ITunes.

Greetings.

I've been using the "Comments" section under Item Info in Itunes to put information like band members, etc. for all my music cd's. None of the text is very long, a few sentences. I just want to know I can find out who plays on what.

However, yesterday and today when I go to place or type info into the comment area, click OK, then go back to look at that info, it cuts off about half of my text. I've even tried adding just one additional letter after the cut off, click OK, and that doesn't "stick" either.

This was working fine up until yesterday, even when I had listed many band members i.e. jazz orchestra and so on.

Thanks.

Jonathan

Why am I no longer able to do this?

Mac Pro 2.4GHz 8 core, 8GB RAM, 5870, 24" LED ACD, Final Cut Studio 3, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Matrox MXO Mini, LG internal Blu Ray burner

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 8:05 AM

iTunes imposes a 255 character limit. If you need more space try the Lyrics field...

tt2
6 replies

Dec 2, 2010 8:49 AM in response to Jonathan Levin2

turingtest2,

Found it. The problem with this is that you have to add the information to each track individually. I've been selecting all tracks and then pasting my info so that it spans the entire album using the comments entry window.

Not sure why Apple would impose a 255 character limit to the comments.

Any other work-arounds?

Jonathan

Dec 2, 2010 8:54 AM in response to Jonathan Levin2

Jonathan Levin2 wrote:
turingtest2,

Found it. The problem with this is that you have to add the information to each track individually. I've been selecting all tracks and then pasting my info so that it spans the entire album using the comments entry window.

Yep... It's not as handy for data entry, though it does have the benefit that you can read the data when the track is playing on an iPod/iPhone.
Not sure why Apple would impose a 255 character limit to the comments.

I can't think why either. It was a limitation of ID3V1 but is no longer relevant or imposed by other software.
Any other work-arounds?

Try http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=cliptomultilyrics - will copy the clipboard contents into the lyrics field of multiple selected tracks.

tt2

Can't past text into "Comments" section in ITunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.