Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't add Optimum Online email account on iPad iOS 4.2

I have an email account with Optimum Online. This account - a POP account - works fine on my Mac and my iPhone. Since upgrading to iOS 4.2.1 on my iPad, I can't get or send email on this account. I tried deleting the account and adding it back, and now I can't add it back. First it tells me that SSL doesn't work with my SMTP server, then it fails to verify the account with the POP server.
I went on the webmail for Optimum Online to verify that I have the correct password, and I do.
Next I tried to add this account to my son's iPad, which is also running iOS 4.2.1, and which runs various POP and IMAP accounts without a problem. I was unable to add the account to his iPad either, which has had no other problems with 4.2.1.
I also tried this while connected to wifi as well as when connected to 3G with good signal.
This tells me that my iPad is OK, but that there may be an issue with Optimum Online POP accounts and iOS 4.2.1 for iPad. I was able to add this account to my iPhone running iOS 4.2.1.
Any suggestions? This is very frustrating.

iPad, iOS 4, 64GB 3G/Wifi

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 12:42 PM

9 replies

Dec 7, 2010 6:53 AM in response to Andrew Lipka

Here's the settings that should work for you. Go to Mail, Contacts, Calendars in the Settings panel and select your account to see its information.

First, make sure that your Incoming Mail Server is set properly. If your email address ends in @optimum.net, then set your Incoming Mail Server to "mail.optimum.net". If your email address ends in @optonline.net, then set your Incoming Mail Server to "mail.optonline.net".

Confirm that your username and password in the Incoming Mail Server fields are correct.

Then to go Outgoing Mail Server and set your primary Outgoing Mail Server Host Name to "mail.optimum.net" or "mail.optonline.net" (depending on your email address as above). Make sure your User Name and Password are correct. Turn "OFF" the "Use SSL" function. "Authentication" should be set to "Password", and "Server Port" should be set to 587.

With these settings, it should work properly. Let me know if it doesn't work for you.

May 13, 2011 8:05 PM in response to victoriafrommontvale

I think Victoria is on the right track. I personally had the inverse problem, using port 587 I was able to send Optonline mail but I couldn't receive it. Taking Victoria's cue, I kept the outgoing port set to 587 but concatenated ":110" to the end of the incoming mail server name (mail.optonline.net:110). Now I can receive AND send mail. I suspect the iPad mail client assumes the port number is the same for both incoming and outgoing mail.

Can't add Optimum Online email account on iPad iOS 4.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.