3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2010 6:10 AM by Bob Timmons
araym Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
I just bought a Blu-Ray player with integrated Wi-Fi. It supports the higher speed and newer technology 802.11n but oddly only seems to support the WEP encryption protocol. WEP is easily cracked, so all of my wireless devices on my current network are running WPA. I don't currently have an AE so I'm faced with the choice of either not using the Blu-Ray Wi-Fi features or downgrading my encryption from WPA to WEP - neither choice a good one.

I'm considering upgrading my wireless router to an AE because of its Guest Network feature. IF I can put my Macbook, PC, printer, iPad, and iPod Touch on the AE's main network secured with WPA2 and put my new Blu-Ray player on the Guest Network with Shared WEP (and of course a different password) I think I have a winner.

But will the AE allow me to do that?

FYI at the moment I have an older 802.11b/g Motorola SURFboard cable modem with integrated firewall and wireless router. If the answer to the above question is "yes" I plan to turn off the Wi-Fi signal on the Motorola, plug the AE into the Ethernet jack from the Motorola, and bring up the two new networks out the back-end with WEP on one and WPA2 on the other. Should work, I hope, and as an extra bonus I get the higher "dot n" speeds. Any configuration or other tips to watch out for?

Thanks!

13" 2.4GHz Aluminum Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.5), iPod touch 2G 16GB, iPad 3G 16GB
  • 1. Re: Can an AE Guest Network use different encryption?
    Bob Timmons Level 9 Level 9 (78,645 points)
    Welcome to the discussion area, araym!

IF I can put my Macbook, PC, printer, iPad, and iPod Touch on the AE's main network secured with WPA2 and put my new Blu-Ray player on the Guest Network with Shared WEP (and of course a different password) I think I have a winner. But will the AE allow me to do that?

Sorry, but no. The Guest network provides WPA2 Personal, WPA/WPA2 Personal, and "None" as available choices for encryption.

FYI at the moment I have an older 802.11b/g Motorola SURFboard cable modem with integrated firewall and wireless router.

Another hitch. The Guest network can only be enabled if you have the AirPort Extreme connected to a simple modem (only one ethernet port). If you have it connected to a router, the AirPort Extreme will not be able to provide a Guest network.

The AirPort Extreme does offer a choice of WEP Transitional Security Network on a number of settings. This would allow WPA devices to connect using WPA and WEP devices to connect using WEP encryption.

See this attached article for more information.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24578?viewlocale=en_US
  • 2. Re: Can an AE Guest Network use different encryption?
    araym Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Bob,

Thanks much for the very articulate and helpful reply. I had not known about the Transitional Security Network Protocol and it looks like it will fit the bill perfectly all by itself.

And as for the cable modem, my Motorola SURFboard SBG900 does indeed have only one Ethernet port out the back. So I think if I disable its wireless router I should be good to go. Right now I just have a little-used Vista machine wired directly to the modem via that port, but it too has a Wi-Fi interface so I have no problem disconnecting it in favor of an AE instead.

Thanks much for the help!
  • 3. Re: Can an AE Guest Network use different encryption?
    Bob Timmons Level 9 Level 9 (78,645 points)
    And as for the cable modem, my Motorola SURFboard SBG900 does indeed have only one Ethernet port out the back. So I think if I disable its wireless router I should be good to go.

If the Motorola can be configured as a simple modem only, then you'll be able to use the Guest network feature on the AirPort Extreme. Simply turning off the wireless probably will not do this. There are usually other settings on a gateway that will need be changed to convert the device to act as a simple modem.

You might want to check with your service provider (if they furnished the Motorola device) for more information about that and also get an understanding of whether that type of setup would be supported.

Message was edited by: Bob Timmons