Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

open office.org error message

When I try to open my openoffice.org software I get an error message that says:

"Either another instance of openoffice.org is accessing your personal settings or your personal settings are locked.
Simultansous access can lead to inconsistencies in your personal settings. Before continuing, you should make sure user 'my name' closes openoffice.org on host '67-60-12-20.cpe.cableone.net'."

I have no idea how to do this. Can anyone help me?

mac mini (2006

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 4:27 PM

4 replies

Feb 4, 2011 2:58 PM in response to SubwaySolidSnake

For me, this error appears after OpenOffice.org (OOo) has crashed or hanged with a file open.

Some people have reported the error can be cleared by deleting the "lock" file. Each OOo file you create has one: It's an invisible file located in the same folder as the OOo file +(eg: a spreadsheet file named "filename.ods" would have a lock file named ".~lock.filename.ods#")+

I suspect erasing the offending "lock" file +(or, files if more than one file was open when OOo crashed or hanged)+ might work.
(1) Invoke search and select File visibility --> Invisible Items.
(2) Search "lock" to find the invisible lock file(s)
(3) Move the offending lock file(s) to the Trash
(4) Relaunch OOo

Good luck!

open office.org error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.