Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing Photos

I'm slowly learning about iPad printing. I tried PrintCentral which works somewhat. It uses their own app to do functions normally done by other iPad apps. When I wanted to print a Photo, the one I wanted did not show up in PrintCentral images Photo Library, even though it does appear in the iPad Photo Library.

So I broke down and bought a new HP D110 printer. That inexpensive printer is slick as a whistle. Setup was time consuming, but went smoothly. I even downloaded a firmware update in the process.

My printing woes should be ended, but when I loaded a sheet of photo paper and printed the desired photo, it came out snapshot size in the corner of the sheet. I can't find any preference to set the size of the print, either on the iPad or on the printer. Surely there must be a way to print a full-page photo. Does anyone know how, or am I stuck with an AirPrint system that only does snapshots?

Fred

Mac, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 7:10 PM

16 replies

Dec 3, 2010 3:42 PM in response to Fred-M-

Andrew-

The question is how do you do it? Where do you specify photo print size? It appears to default to 4" X 6", and neither the iPad print menu nor the D110 setup screens appear to allow changing it to full-page.

I'm using the Photo app that came with the iPad. The D110 firmware, the iPad and all of my apps are up-to-date.

Fred

Dec 3, 2010 4:19 PM in response to Fred-M-

Fred,

So part of the beauty of AirPrint (depending on how you look at it) is that it hides that decision from you. In the case of the Photo's App, it tells the printer to print 4x6. In the case of your D110, if you put in a full size piece of paper, using the Photos App, it should automatically print to the full page. Now if you're printing anything other then a JPEG, this auto scaling won't happen. It sound like what might be happening is PrintCentral is not sending down a JPEG, so you are getting the 4x6 instead of it automatically switching to full page.

And you should be able to test this with the Photos App that came on your device to verify the behavior.

Just trying to help.

Andrew

Dec 3, 2010 5:24 PM in response to Fred-M-

Andrew-

I should not have mentioned PrintCentral. The problem is with the iPad Photo app printing to the D110 via AirPrint.

I do use 8 1/2" X 11" paper in the D110. It did not print full page, but a 4" X 6" snapshot in the upper left corner of the sheet. I've tried it with 1/4 Megapixel and 5.5 Megapixel JPEG photos with the same results.

Fred

Dec 3, 2010 5:52 PM in response to Fred-M-

Fred,

Sorry about that. I just looked into this with an actual D110. The D110 does not have a media sensor in it, so it does not know that you haven't loaded Photo Paper, so you get the result you are seeing. There are other Printers in the list that will automatically scale the image. The only option I know of is using an App that either lets you select the paper size for printing a photo via AirPrint (which I don't currently know of one), or use [HP iPrint Photo|http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hp-iprint-photo-3-0/id299531647?mt=8] which lets you pick the paper size, but does not use AirPrint for printing.

Just trying to help.

Andrew

Jul 11, 2012 4:51 PM in response to Fred-M-

Fred,

Did you ever get this solved? I like doing screenshots of things with my iPad and then printing. Somewhere along the line of updates, my full page documents have been reduced to 4 x 6 and it is really annoying. My solution is to send the "Photo" to my computer and then print from there and it is perfectly fine.

I am simply using the Photo App and trying to print from that interface to a wireless printer. It worked before so I am not sure what changed. I couldn't find any settings to change...

It looks like you had a similar problem, did you figure it out? If so, how?

Thanks,

Anne

Jul 11, 2012 8:35 PM in response to camlwood

Camlwood-

Andrew's comment about the D110 printer not having a media sensor, explains why the Photos App always prints 4 X 6 (postcard-size) images regardless of the size of paper in the printer. If yours worked before, I wonder if your printer's media sensor might be jammed?

To get around it, you can use a printing App that can print images from your Photos library. In the case of an HP printer, the free HP App, ePrint Home & Biz, can print photos to whatever size paper you have. It lets you specify your paper size, and you can rotate and stretch your photo by using two fingers. If you do not have an HP printer, look for a printing App from your printer's manufacturer.

I was also able to change the paper and image sizes in PrintCentral and Print n Share Apps' photo printing programs. However the problem remains using the Photos App with an AirPrint printer that does not have a media sensor.

Fred

Jul 12, 2012 7:22 AM in response to Fred-M-

Thanks Fred!

I tried looking at the User Guide for our HP 8500A to see if I could change something on the printer side, but was unable to find anything. I downloaded the HP home&biz app, went to the screen shot I wanted to print in my Photo Album and did in fact see the settings had defaulted to 4 x 6. I changed the paper size and then changed the document size and it printed fine.

What is utterly frustrating is that when we first got the printer, all I had to do is go to Photos, select Photo and print and it defaulted to 8.5 x 11. I now have all these unnecessary steps and I am not sure if it is an update from HP or Apple that is causing the "extra" work.

Oh well...it works and I don't feel like dealing with either customer support from Apple or HP. They will just blame each other!

Thanks again for your time and solution!

Anne

Mar 17, 2013 12:31 PM in response to Fred-M-

Hi Fred,

Excuse my ignorance here. Could you tell me, what is the photos app, is that simply the camera roll? I have the D110 also and currently I just use the print button found in the share pull down menu (which of course is only printing a 4x6 as you previously stated), I do not use a printing app that comes from the app store. Does this ePrint Home & Biz you mention resolve this issue we are having?

Thanks!

Denise

Mar 18, 2013 11:28 AM in response to Dennym33

Denise-

I have an iPad 2. The Photos App is accessed from an icon at the bottom of the Home screen. It provides access to your collection of photos. I think that is what you call the "camera roll".

I believe the HP printing App is now just called ePrint. It does allow you to a specify the size and orientation of a print. At the preview screen, you can shrink, expand and rotate your image with two fingers.

The ePrint App can also be used with other HP printers that are not capable of AirPrint. I also use it with an HP Laser Printer connected to my WiFi router via Ethernet. As with other printing Apps, it can not be accessed from within other Apps unless they have the "Open In" option.

Fred

Mar 18, 2013 8:32 PM in response to Dennym33

Denise-

Occasionally I will have an App close soon after opening it, but they usually can be started again with no problem. I don't recall having HP's ePrint do that. I'm running iOS 6.1.2, if that matters.

When funny things happen, I reset (reboot) the iPad by holding down both the Home and Sleep buttons until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" arrow if it appears. The iPad restarts after a couple of minutes. Resetting this way will not hurt anything, and sometimes clears up mysterious problems.

Yes, PrintCentral works. I think it has more features than HP's ePrint. It lets you select both page size and image size, but the two-finger rotation/shrink/expand does not work. It also can only be accessed from within other Apps that have the "Open In" option.

Fred

Mar 18, 2013 9:10 PM in response to Fred-M-

Fred,

I am running iOS 6.1.2 as well. I tried rebooting my ipad but that did not make the app stop crashing, good idea though.

I want to print full size pages of some of the images in "photos", the one with the sunflower icon. But I don't think it has the "open in" option. If it does, I don't know where it is. Are you printing full page images from "photos", and if so, how?

Denise

Printing Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.