Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot log in to websites using Safari

As of last night, I discovered that I was unable to log into several website: when presented with the login form, I'd type in my info (or it would autofill) and after submitting the form, I'd either be sent back to re-try the form, or returned to whatever the default page for not-logged-in people is (depending on the site).

What I've tried:
• Rebooting and firing up only Safari: no help.
• I am able to log into these sites using Chrome and Firefox with no problem.
• If I log into my Mac as Guest, I can log into these site with Safari,
• I have tried removing my Safari preferences, and also the ~/Library/Safari folder. No help.

So it seems like something particular to my user account.

This is with Safari 5.0.3

iMac 2.93 GHz Core 2 Duo 24", Mac OS X (10.6.5), iPhone 3G

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 10:30 AM

HI,

From your Safari menu bar click Safari / Preferences then select the Autofill tab. Make sure *user names and passwords* is selected. Now click the Edit button next to: *Other forms*. Delete all the url's for the sites you have problems logging in to.

Now select the Security tab. Click: *Show Cookies* Delete all cookies related to the sites you are having problems accessing.

Quit Safari. (Command + Q)

Open Keychain Access (Applications/Utilities). Select Passwords on the left. Delete all the keychains for the sites you have problems logging into.

Relaunch Safari. Navigate to a site you normally login to. Type in your *user name and password*, click Yes when prompted. A new keychain will be created for that site.

Carolyn 🙂
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2010 10:30 AM in response to adamrice

HI,

From your Safari menu bar click Safari / Preferences then select the Autofill tab. Make sure *user names and passwords* is selected. Now click the Edit button next to: *Other forms*. Delete all the url's for the sites you have problems logging in to.

Now select the Security tab. Click: *Show Cookies* Delete all cookies related to the sites you are having problems accessing.

Quit Safari. (Command + Q)

Open Keychain Access (Applications/Utilities). Select Passwords on the left. Delete all the keychains for the sites you have problems logging into.

Relaunch Safari. Navigate to a site you normally login to. Type in your *user name and password*, click Yes when prompted. A new keychain will be created for that site.

Carolyn 🙂

Dec 6, 2010 5:17 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem as the original poster, and the posted fix did not solve it. In addition to the login loop, sometimes it affects my ability to submit payment or even create an account. In all cases, I get stuck in a loop, where I submit my info (username/password, credit card info, etc), but instead of moving on to the next screen, I am brought back to the same page where I need to enter my info.

I have tried:
-clearing cache and cookies
-resetting Safari
-repairing permissions
-resetting the keychain as described above
-accessing the sites via Firefox, which always works

Safari is set to "Always accept cookies".

Since Firefox works, I do have a workaround, but it really bothers me that Safari (my preferred browser; I only downloaded Firefox after these problems started) cannot access these sites. And it seems that I discover a new "nonworking" site every day. My computer is about a year and a half old, and it is only in the last few weeks that these problems started.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Erin

Cannot log in to websites using Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.