Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Parental controls stopped working

I have 2 machines that I have set up with Parental Controls. I have had these since 10.5 and upgraded them as 10.6 came out and subsequent updates.

These machines used to work fine with the Parental controls - the log files showing web history, applications used, and monitoring the machine usage etc.

I have noticed that the logging has stopped, and the machine seems to be usable all day, rather than the 2 hours limit set in the Parent Controls setup. The only aspect of the Parental Controls that still seems to work is the Time limits.

When I look at the logs history and look at the complete history, the logs stopped working on the 2nd May 2010. So there is activity up until that point, but then nothing afterwards. The Parental Control settings have not been changed, they are still set up to monitor, but not working properly.

Any ideas?

Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 1:56 PM

4 replies

Jan 12, 2011 4:18 PM in response to Davior Pinney

I've found a fix for this on another thread. Procedure is as follows:

in your admin account turn off parental control for the user concerned
turn the that account to admin account
restart the machine
remove Library/application support/apple/parental control/users/(previously managed parental controlled account user folder)
reboot the machine
-turn on parental control

I'm pleased to say this worked for me and it's the first time I've heard of a fix for this issue. However, I suspect that when a parentally controlled user reboots (perhaps towards the end of their time allowance) this does mess up parental controls. So if there is a way to parentally control reboots and prevent them that would be helpful. Any ideas anyone?

James

Parental controls stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.