Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Airplay support streaming radio?

I am wondering what is the best way to stream the radio stations in iTunes? I'm reading about Airplay but not sure if that supports radio or just music. Also, is there a way to incorporate it into my current iPod player - a [Chestnut Hill George system|http://www.chillsound.com> - or do I need to buy other speakers?

I have an internet radio app for my touch, but would like to be able to listen to the radio over speakers sometimes instead, so if someone has a recommendation other than Airplay too, I'd be interested in whatever suggestions you have.

Thanks.

Dell Inspiron 1720, Windows Vista, touch 3g OS 4.2, iTunes 10.1

Posted on Dec 4, 2010 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2010 12:53 PM

SpyglassSally,

I can't speak for all the apps but I do have the AOL Radio app...

I can stream the AOL Radio to my Airplay enabled devices.

Hope this helps.
5 replies

Dec 4, 2010 2:36 PM in response to Joseph Kriz

Thanks, Joseph. I think I may have found a really cheap way to accomplish what I want. In case anyone else is interested, here's what I did...

There is a free iphone, ipad, touch app called [Remote|http://artoftheiphone.com/2009/02/03/remote-app-control-itunes-and-appl e-tv-over-wifi-best-of-iphone-apps> which I can use to have my touch control iTunes. I made a playlist of the radio stations I want to listen to, and then can select and control them via the Remote app on my touch.

When I want to listen to iTunes over my stereo system, I plug a fm transmitter into my headphone jack (we had an old car one laying around) and then just tune my stereo's radio station to the selected fm channel.

Just tried it out and it works like a charm! Not quite as slick or versatile as Airplay, but I think it will work for my situation just fine.

May 4, 2011 1:13 PM in response to thekrobro

Paul,

Your setup will work perfectly if AOL radio has enabled Airplay - it's up to the developer to implement it. I use TuneIn Radio app and have had no problem, except buffering sometimes - AppleTV 2 is over wifi. You can also use the radio stations within AppleTV 2.

I was thinking about picking up a Logitech Squeezebox Radio for the kitchen, I'm pretty sure this will work with Airplay. Apple's Airplay seems like magic, so cool.

Does Airplay support streaming radio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.