Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Applications not showing up in System Profiler?

Anyone know why? All it says is "no information found" and hitting "refresh" makes no difference.

Could it be somehow it uses spotlight to find the applications?

It shows up the same blank page whether I boot into 64 or 32 bit.

Thanks!

Mac 2.93 Twelvecore, Mac OS X (10.6.5), Spotless, easyfind

Posted on Dec 4, 2010 1:14 PM

20 replies

Dec 8, 2010 3:30 AM in response to baltwo

Applications still not showing up. I also tried a safe boot; no go. The safe boot did solve another issue I was having; my security panel in system preferences would not open. After it did in safe boot, it opens in my main administrator account.

But no go on the applications in sys profiler. However, I did install the same 10.6.5 on another internal drive with all updates, and THAT boot WILL show me all my applications, including all the ones on two parallels windows versions (XP and 7) and my bootcamp windows drive, so if I need a list, I'll do that.

I'm guessing probably a symbolic link to the applications folder is amiss or possibly system profiler preferences.

But don't know how to futz with those.

Thanks.

P.S. OK, I do know how to futz with the sysprofiler plist. Not the problem. Did the usual... dragged it to the trash, opened up system profiler, it created a new plist, STILL no applications showing up.

I haven't moved my applications nor anything in my home folder nor changed my name or anything. Just really strange.

Dec 8, 2010 2:33 PM in response to Leslie Bell

Disconnect all peripherals from your computer. Boot from your install disc & run _*Repair Disk*_ from the utility menu. To use the Install Mac OS X disc, insert the disc, and restart your computer while holding down the C key as it starts up.
Select your language.
Once on the desktop, select Utility in the menu bar.
Select *Disk Utility.*

Select the disk or volume in the list of disks and volumes, and then click *First Aid.*
Click _*Repair Disk.*_
Restart your computer when done.

Repair permissions after you reach the desktop- http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25751 and restart your computer.

If this does not work, try the Snow Leopard combo update - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1324

Dec 8, 2010 2:50 PM in response to baltwo

I've got a current superduper bootable backup to disk image, always. The other isn't a mirror installation, it's my emergency boot OS drive so I can repair the first hard drive when necessary without digging to find my original install disc to boot off of. Loads in quicker than booting off the DVD as well. I have no idea why it was reading all my applications off the first main drive.

Thanks.

Dec 8, 2010 2:54 PM in response to CMCSK

GREAT thorough instructions for a safe install (except for backing up first 😉 but I'm really trying to avoid that as I have over 1000 applications and having just transferred over from another tower I really am trying to avoid reinstalling the several applications that won't survive the process.

I was really hoping someone would have had the same problem and an easier less drastic fix. Like forcing prebinding to update and a new symbolic link to be created, or something along those lines.

Thanks though!

Dec 8, 2010 10:48 PM in response to Leslie Bell

Semantics. The disk image contains a copy of the OS that when restored (i.e., no longer a disk image, but an actual OS installation) to another volume, that's bootable. The disk image isn't. However, after doing clones and moderating the Carbon Copy Cloner forums for over six years, I'll bow to your knowledge and bid you adieu. Good luck.

Applications not showing up in System Profiler?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.