Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Ghost" page numbers on every second page - how to remove?

Hi,

I'm setting a short book with Pages and after importing from Word, I'm seeing duplicate, partially hidden additional page numbers on every second page. I'd like to remove them entirely, keeping Pages' page numbering. Removing and inserting page numbers doesn't help and the second set of numbers can't be selected in any way (clicking, dragging don't work). One solution would be to re-import from word, deselecting page numbers beforehand, but I'd rather like avoid this step as I made many changes in Pages.

Here's a screenshot showing the duplicate page numbers: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3304376/pages_bug.png

Does anybody have an idea how to remove them?

Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 4, 2010 8:24 PM

3 replies

Dec 4, 2010 8:30 PM in response to opt03

Hello,

Sometimes in the process of importing from Word, page numbers are improperly converted to Master Objects or Background Objects. Go to Format > Advanced > Make Master Objects Selectable. Then, with the cursor in the Margin of the document, press the Command Key (Cursor changes to an Arrow) and drag the cursor diagonally across the page number to select it. Then press the Delete key and the number should be gone. You need to check carefully to make sure that you have eliminated all the instances. There may be one per Section.

Jerry

"Ghost" page numbers on every second page - how to remove?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.