Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new 27' iMac with monitor flaws????

Just curious as to how others view this and what you would do. I have a couple of places on my monitor (barely noticeable, but there none the less) where it looks like the glass portion of it was scratched and/or pitted on the backside (one looks like a scratch and 1 other place looks like it could be a pixilation of some sort. Would any of you bother with getting another one considering that if/when you do, you have the chance of getting another one that is possibly worse? I'm a little undecided here. Thank you for any input you may have.

27" IMAC 2.8GHz Intel Core i5 - 750G WD My Book - 4G Ram - 80G iPod., Mac OS X (10.6.5), Sony VPCL116FX Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz 6G Ram 64b Win7

Posted on Dec 5, 2010 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2010 5:50 PM

I would certainly address this immediately; you didn't say when or where you purchased it - if it was from the online Apple store, contact them; if it was an Apple brick & mortar store, take it in. If it was from a reseller, you'll have to deal with them. In any case, I wouldn't wait more than 24 hours after purchase - you paid top dollar and you can expect a flawless machine. When I purchased my newest iMac, I had them open the package in the store to check the case, screen, etc. and then had them power it up to make sure there were no flaws on the display. I figured it would be much easier to return/exchange it on the spot if necessary. Everything was absolutely perfect, so I took it home.
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2010 5:50 PM in response to QuickDraw

I would certainly address this immediately; you didn't say when or where you purchased it - if it was from the online Apple store, contact them; if it was an Apple brick & mortar store, take it in. If it was from a reseller, you'll have to deal with them. In any case, I wouldn't wait more than 24 hours after purchase - you paid top dollar and you can expect a flawless machine. When I purchased my newest iMac, I had them open the package in the store to check the case, screen, etc. and then had them power it up to make sure there were no flaws on the display. I figured it would be much easier to return/exchange it on the spot if necessary. Everything was absolutely perfect, so I took it home.

Dec 6, 2010 1:20 AM in response to babowa

Yea, I was kinda leaning that way. Unfortunately it has been a little longer than 24 hours. I wish I had the opportunity to look at it before the sale, but when you purchase online you don't get that chance. I got it at Best Buy online and it took a week to get here. I also paid for an extended warranty. BB has always been pretty good about things like this, so I'll prob call the local store here and see what they have to say. Thanks for your input.

Dec 9, 2010 3:39 AM in response to babowa

Thanks...although I very much dought that I'll have any trouble, as my relationship with BB allows me at least 45 days to return anything purchased online or in one of their stores. Since my last post here the machine has developed more pixilations, so I'm just going to return it today and get a refund. I just don't want to have to keep worrying about when other pixilations might show up. Too bad, this is one beautiful product.

Dec 9, 2010 4:00 AM in response to QuickDraw

Do not wait to return this. When I bought my 27" iMac and got it home, I noticed 4 dead pixels immediately. I phoned the store up and they agreed to take it back for an exchange. When I did go back to exchange it, I had them unbox and test before I left. The replacement had dead pixels, the next one had a chip in the glass underneath the pane, and finally the last one was 100% without problems. It's not been a full year with mine yet and already now the screen exhibits blurry/grey pixels on the top which I had a tech come out and replace the LG screen inside, only to have the replacement have more dead pixels. For me personally 2k for a rig with display issues is not worth it. I wouldn't hesitate to exchange/return ASAP!

Dec 12, 2010 11:03 AM in response to QuickDraw

Well, if you really want it, why don't you consider going about it the way I did: go to an Apple or Apple reseller (I mean a nothing-but-Mac store), buy it, and have them open the box and power it up (caveat: it will go through the initial setup immediately) - you would then see the screen, etc. and can make an immediate decision: take it home or return it.

Brand new 27' iMac with monitor flaws????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.