Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iPhoto '11 use so much memory?

After some work in full-screen mode, Activity Monitor reveals that iPhoto is using over 700 MB of "real" memory. Are there some major memory leaks in this program?

MacBook Pro (mid-2010) core i5 2.4 GHz / 4GB / 500GB 7200rpm, Mac OS X (10.6.5), iPhone 3GS 16GB (iOS 4.1)

Posted on Dec 5, 2010 7:52 AM

18 replies

Dec 5, 2010 1:44 PM in response to Old Toad

I have 4GB of RAM, but wish I had 8 😉

You must not run many apps and/or leave Safari running with several tabs open. Activity Monitor shows 57 processes right now. My system has been up only for 20 hours, and I already have 3 swap files (4 at peak usage) with 7,113 pageouts. With a typical uptime of 20+ days, I typically have 6-7 swap files and many pageouts.

May 7, 2011 5:14 PM in response to LarryHN

LarryHN- I am following the path you set- reloading the backup of iPhoto Library and then reinstalling the version from original disks. Problem is, my back up on Time Machine thinks I am not the original user. I don't have permission to read or write, all the folders have minus signs, as if I was looking at files from another account on my computer.

This might be because I re-migrated my account.

Was like this... in 2010 my new intel mbp arrives and I migrate from a Tiger G4. I had some problems and was incorrectly advised to create a second account. It was annoying and created other problems to have to log out of a dummy account to get to my account, and I couldn't delete that dummy admin account. Finally this week a friend bought a 13"mbp, just like mine but newer. (It's a refurb from 2010, but evidently its much newer software-wise, because I can't even use the mbp's disks to boot to migrate.)

This was my opportunity to sort out my computer. I backed up to Time Machine, then I migrated my account to the new computer. I used the new computer to zero out the drive on my computer, reloaded my OS from disks and then migrated my account back from the new computer. I thought all was well, and deleted my account on the new computer (pity that move).

Now I find among other issues, this upgraded my iPhoto to 2011 version, which I don't like at all. I want to go back to the previous version, and so follow your path.

But my Time Machine backup as I said above has the red minuses on everything, and more info says the read and write permission is for _unknown while everybody else has no privileges. I can't get just the iPhoto Library, only the entire Pictures folder. I tried to bring that over but I dont have enough space.

As I write to you now, I am copying the entire pictures folder from the Time Machine backup to the new computer, in hopes of then copying just the iPhoto Library to my computer, and loading the iPhoto from my original disks. Should take about 3 hours it says, and then I guess an hour or so to copy back to my computer.

What to do if the permissions remain blocked?

Many thanks for any help.

Dec 24, 2014 3:24 AM in response to odysseus

So this morning out of the blue iPhoto library decides that to needs to be upgraded. It then proceeds to cons,me 60.85GB of memory, swamping the 16GB of physical memory. Neither iPhoto nor iTunes is responding. iPhoto tells display a popup window "Rebuilding Thumbnail Cache". I do not consider it polite to randomly decide to upgrade my library and then consume 60GB plus of virtual memory.

Dec 24, 2014 10:02 AM in response to Yer_Man

The subject line had a question.

Well after seeing iPhoto hung - not burning CPU I force quit it. iPhoto saturated virtual memory on my machine. On restart my entire photo library was gone. I tried repairing permissions, repairing the library, rebuilding the library and zilch.

So now I'm re-importing over 100K photos into my library and it will consume my MacBook pro (~300% CPU burn) and IO for days!

Heads up folks.

Why does iPhoto '11 use so much memory?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.