Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Down-sampling" a pdf

Hi All.

I am new to Mac and have a 24 MB pdf that I need to make available on the web at a reasonable size. It was originally printed out at 300 dpi at 24 x 36 but I don't have access to InDesign (I used the demo). I have Pages and Acrobat Reader but I am not sure if I have Adobe Acrobat for the Mac.

Is there a way to "downsize" this document so that it does not take up so much space? I have tried saving as a jpg and a couple other file formats to no avail.

Thanks.

Mac OS X (10.6.3), Mac Pro, MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 5, 2010 10:13 AM

13 replies

Dec 5, 2010 12:13 PM in response to fruhulda

Thanks Gents.

I hate to admit it but I kept missing the program help under Help pulldown in favor of mac help.

So I have the file open in Preview but the Tools > Adjust Size pulldown is greyed out which means I have no access to this for some reason. Any ideas?

I will keep the original for printing etcetera but I just want to make one copy at a reasonable size so it can be downloaded and opened off my website for promo purposes. I'd like to make it printable at 8 x 11 inches even though the original was at 24 x 36.

Thanks a ton.

Dec 5, 2010 1:05 PM in response to fruhulda

Hi. Thanks very much. I found it.

Can I please ask you to help me with a couple more things?

For instance, is there a way to see how big the document is either in terms of absolute size or in terms of file size? I know I can do View > Actual Size but can I see this in a dialog box where it tells me the actual units and file size?

Also, is there a way to reduce the actual size of the document to 8 1/2 x 11 inches? It appears to be reduced in size but at the actual 24 x 36 inch dimension and this means that it comes up in a browser much too large.

Is there a good way to reduce the actual dimensions so it comes up in Safari at a readable screen size?

Thanks a lot.

Dec 5, 2010 6:18 PM in response to Walt K

Hi Walt, All.

Thanks a ton for the help. I guess it would be nice not to get out of Preview to save the pdf and resize the document in a photo editor. I guess this means I need a copy of Acrobat...

Is there a Mac image editing software that would be good for resizing the jpg or whatever? I'm coming over from PC and the only thing I have is a very old version of Adobe Elements 3.0 from the purchase of a Leica Camera many years ago...

Thanks!

Dec 5, 2010 6:36 PM in response to Hotwheels22

You didn't reply to my questions but it sounds like you may have mostly text/vector on the page.

You can see a pdf's size/dimensions by getting Info on it in Preview.

Try printing from Pages to pdf using a % reduction. I leave you to do the maths.

If it comes out with a lot of white space around it in the pdf, you can crop it in Preview and resave.

Peter

Dec 8, 2010 7:52 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Hi Peter.

Thank you. Sorry.

This was a 24 x 36 inch poster with text and images created in (a demo) of InDesign - that I printed to pdf at 300 dpi.

I wanted (actually still want) to post it to the web so it shows up with a reasonable file size, doc size and resolution.

Right now I got the file size down but it is still 24 x 36 so I'll have to - apparently get it into an image editor to resize it precisely. Scaling by a proportion after calculating it may be more than I want to do on a regular basis.

Do you mind if I ask you if you know why pdf's are 24 MB (hard to email) and whether there is a mac version of Acrobat that will let me simply print and resize pdf's?

Is there an appropriate dpi for an 8 x 11 with images and vector?

Cheers, Thanks.

"Down-sampling" a pdf

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.