Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP freez at startup on the apple logo

Hello,

I want to start with the core 64-bit, so I followed the instructions listed here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3773?viewlocale=fr_FR

I applied the second method (the code in terminal):
sudo-systemsetup setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64

I restart my MBP (i5, 8GB RAM ..), and here he is freez on apple logo (startup)!!!

I tried all solution but I still have the same problem

It still freezes on the apple logo (with a Gray progress bar appears under Apple logo for maybe 1min).

I'm not sure that this problem is because changing to 64-bits (because i did this several times without any problem with a small software)

i try all the solutions :
- Resseting PRAM and NVRAM
- Resetting the EFI
- i can't startup with SafeMode

Can anyone help me please?
Thanks

sorry for my english

MacBook Pro i5, 15-inch: 2.53GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 1:53 AM

13 replies

Dec 6, 2010 4:00 AM in response to proyoussef

Try starting in Single user mode (thats like starting in just terminal)

and then run this

'sudo-systemsetup setkernelbootarchitecture x86'

or whatever the command is for standard x86 startup!

1. Shut down the computer if it is on.
2. Press the power button to start the computer.
3. Immediately press and hold the Command (Apple) key and
the "s" key for single-user mode. (Command-S)

Message was edited by: JohnAlanWoods

Dec 6, 2010 4:53 AM in response to proyoussef

you get this message when trying to boot into single user mode by pressing cmd-s???

and then what does it just hang?

If so this issue is clearly caused by the change in architecture,

the only solution I can think of is holding the '3' and '2' keys simultaneously when booting to try and force into 32bit mode, failing this a reinstall is your only option, unless any more experiened people have a smarter solution?

Message was edited by: JohnAlanWoods

Dec 6, 2010 6:41 AM in response to proyoussef

Uh oh, that doesn't sound good, The last thing I can suggest is that you find the file that this command edits, and try and check the permissions on this file to make sure they didn't get messed up,

then try and run the command again 'sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386'

I think you may have to reinstall the OS, if we can't find out how to uncorrupt the system kernel boot architecture!

Dec 6, 2010 7:11 AM in response to JohnAlanWoods

I don't have the DVD witch come with my MBP,
I have the DVD (MAC OS X 10.6.3) comes with the machines MBP 13-inch: 2.4GHz (2010), i can't boot with it!
I need the DVD that comes with the machines

I try to edit the file that contains the architecture configuration (com.apple.Boot.plist) from the terminal but I still have the problem of permissions, I can not modify this file.

I thought to put my hard drive in another machine and install the system, if I made this solution I can start my machine normally ?
The problem is that the machines (MBP 13-inch: 2.4GHz) they have only a single graphics card (Nvidia) for my MPB contains two graphics card (Intel, Nvidia)!!
there is much difference between the two machines..

Dec 6, 2010 7:44 AM in response to proyoussef

*+I try to edit the file that contains the architecture configuration (com.apple.Boot.plist) from the terminal but I still have the problem of permissions, I can not modify this file.+*

If you run the command 'sudo chmod 777 com.apple.Boot.plist' you can change the permissions and edit this file to see if this fixes the issue,

Thanks,
John
I wouln't recommend installing the OS with the disk in another machine, it's messy,

maybe a remote install of OS X would work!?

Dec 22, 2010 12:45 PM in response to proyoussef

After booting into single-user mode, there is a message about re-mounting the file system for write access. You need to run those two commands before you can make changes to any of the files.

I believe they are:

$ *fsck -fy*
$ *mount -uw /*

Then you can run the 'systemsetup' command. Note that 'sudo' is not necessary in single-user mode, because you are already logged in as root.

$ *systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386*

Also keep in mind that I'm using $ to indicate it's a shell command. In other words, don't type the $ character!

And after making the final change, rebooting into the 32-bit kernel is easy enough:

$ reboot

Dec 31, 2010 10:31 AM in response to proyoussef

OK, I don't even get far enough to do this. I have booted into single-user before, so remember what it looked like. I get:

efiboot loaded from device: Acpi(PNP0A03,0/Pci(1Fl2)/SATA(0,0)/HD(Part2,Sig0000
5AA6-68E6-0000-4B03-0000E2280000)
boot file path: \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
.Loading 'mach_kernal'...
................................................................................ .
root device uuid is 'EB2636B1-860C-3D98-B0F1-7EF9833186CC'
Loading drivers...
Loading System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\Extensions.mkext...
MBP 2.53 i5 4GB 500GB
If I have to install another drive, I will, but it's a last resort

MBP freez at startup on the apple logo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.