Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way of playing .avi files on Apple TV?

I've got the new Apple TV. I want to know if it's possible to watch .avi files on it. All the films and TV Shows I have are in .avi!!

Or if someone could recommend a fast and effective converting application, that would be great too!

Mac Pro 1, 1, MacBook Pro 6, 2, Mac OS X (10.6.5), (Y)

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 7:04 AM

31 replies

Dec 6, 2010 7:17 AM in response to sixam

sixam wrote:
I've got the new Apple TV. I want to know if it's possible to watch .avi files on it. All the films and TV Shows I have are in .avi!!

no

Or if someone could recommend a fast and effective converting application, that would be great too!

there are many converting tools that will convert to the appropriate format.

Dec 6, 2010 4:53 PM in response to sixam

I also recommend Handbrake. Use the Universal setting to start so the files will also play on all your portable devices and phone. If you want metadata for your movies after transcoding i recommend Subler.... Free, Automatic (drag and drop), and editable or manual on the rare occasions it's needed. The metadata will display on your ATV2 when perusing your iTunes library of movies

Dec 6, 2010 4:58 PM in response to sixam

AVI is an outdated container for video and audio, it can contain many differing types of compression some of which may not be possible to convert at all.

While this is unlikely, the point is that you need to determine the type of compression used within your AVI files before it's possible to suggest any conversion software at all. Handbrake may well work, but it's not guaranteed.

To find out what type of compression is being used, See This

Dec 7, 2010 1:36 AM in response to sixam

I bought the Elgato Turbo.264 HD at the same time as I got my AppleTV. Its not cheep but it'll save hours of encoding. On my old iMac it can convert an average DVD in about half an hour. I also takes the load off your processor so you can do other things with your Mac while it encodes. You can also use it with other apps like iMovie, Quicktime 7 and Final Cut.

So long as you have the correct codecs to play your AVIs in Quicktime it should be able to convert them.

If you haven't already install Perian http://www.perian.org/

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/int/mainmenu/products/Turbo264HD/product1.en.html

Jan 17, 2011 8:59 AM in response to sixam

I payed for the original Visual Hub and moved to Video Monkey now that it's public (and Visual Hub doesn't work on snow leopard)

BTW, if you start converting, it's possible to get jittery video, audio sync issues, etc. Just read the forums for answers. I've found that trying a different bit rate for my final mp4 (in line with the original encoding) usually clears these things up.

Feb 4, 2011 6:42 AM in response to sixam

Hi,

I have the answer and it works perfectly and is dead easy.

It will only be available in a couple of weeks but since I have a developer account, it already works for me.

The solution is STREAM TO ME !!! User uploaded file

The latest update of STREAM TO ME and the next iOS release (i.e. 4.3) will let you play the .avi files on your iPad or iPhone or iPod Touch and then beam then through AirPlay on your Apple TV 2.

It works like magic.

No more need for my script (done with Automator) to change the .avi files into MPEG files.

The app is only 1.19 Pounds so it is a no brainer.

Enjoy guys !!!! User uploaded file

Is there a way of playing .avi files on Apple TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.