Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad backup on external HD or Time machine?

Hi

My nearly full 64 GBs iPad is eating up my HD. I have like 200 MBs left! Is there a way to save the backup to an external HD to save it for whenever I need to restore??

If there isn't a way, I have a full Time machine backup, is it OK to delete the backup from iTunes, and if I needed the backup I restore it from Time machine, or I can't??

Please help!

Message was edited by: Hotsouma

White MacBook, iPhone 4, 64GB WiFi iPad, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Dec 7, 2010 3:36 AM

15 replies

Dec 7, 2010 3:58 AM in response to Hotsouma

A backup of the ipad does not actually backup all the content on the iPad.
For instance it does NOT backup, Music, Video, Photos, Apps, etc, i.e. content that you can load at anytime via iTunes. It does backup iPad settings, App settings, App save files, but these will not be huge. I suspect you need to look for other areas on your computer to save space as it will not be the iPad backup that is causing the problem.

Dec 7, 2010 4:22 AM in response to Ian Parkinson

I use GoodReader to save HD video files (because I use the videos app for movies), so the apps bar takes about 27 GBs, I don't know if that gets backed up.

My problem started an hour ago when my HD had about 10GBs free space, when I synced my iPad, it took some time then a message popped out that the back up can't be saved, when I checked my HD, it had about 200 MBs left!

I don't know the source of the problem, so I assumed its the huge iPad backup, since i had about 10 GBs free??

Dec 7, 2010 4:25 AM in response to Hotsouma

Yes those files will be the problem as they are App files (files which are associated with an App) which I mentioned will get backed up.

All I can suggest is that you make more room on your computer as I don't know of any way to store the iPad backup elsewhere.

You could delete the backup if you are not worried about losing any of the content.

Dec 7, 2010 8:06 AM in response to lllaass

Thank you the article is really helpful. But I don't know how to restore an iPad backup from a time machine back up, it doesn't say how in the time machine article.

The article shows where the backus are saved on my Mac, can I simply copy the file to the external HD and then delete it from my iTunes perfrences? or will iTunes won't recognize my iPad again if I want to sync (not back up)???

Dec 8, 2010 5:03 AM in response to Hotsouma

Backups can't be moved to another location or hard drive. It needs to stay on the startup hard drive. Backups can be quite large, mine is over 30 gigs.

If you have only 200 MBs on your startup hard drive you need to transfer some of the data off that drive. There is rule of thumb of how much you should fill a startup disk too... 80 to 90% of capacity. You have to remember the OS needs hard drive space to write files too, same with programs. Leaving not enough space and the hard drive can freeze. And the worst, failure. This happen to me a longtime ago...

Mar 22, 2014 10:57 AM in response to Hotsouma

There îs a nice application GoodreaderUSB . You can downloaded , connect your Ipad to the computer and just click and drag any file from Ipad to the external hard drive , no iTunes necessary. I use a seagate wifi external hard drive and I transferred all my videos , photos , folders into the hard drive just with this application. I got this information from Goodreader support .

iPad backup on external HD or Time machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.