Skip navigation

MacBook Pro Logic Board Failure

481596 Views 1,304 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2014 3:59 AM by TomFlint RSS Branched to a new discussion.
  • lenn5 Level 4 Level 4 (2,530 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2013 10:36 AM (in response to StinkyOldC)

    Good call Stinky!

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,250 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2013 10:41 AM (in response to lenn5)

    lenn5 wrote:

     

    Dude pay attention. It's free to the owner of the Mac!

    Dude, I said that it was not free for Apple to do it, they have associated costs. Whether it is free to the consumer is another matter, and Apple's decision.

     

    Got it?

  • lenn5 Level 4 Level 4 (2,530 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2013 10:56 AM (in response to Csound1)

    Is like saying it costs Apple money when an Apple Store employee shows a customer the new iMac. All part of doing business which everyone here understands and doesn't need to be told in a condescending way.

     

    Also telling someone that they must not get out much is childish.

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,250 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2013 10:58 AM (in response to lenn5)

    lenn5 wrote:

     

    Is like saying it costs Apple money when an Apple Store employee shows a customer the new iMac

    It does, it costs Apple money when an employee is at work, regardless of what he/she is doing, do you really not understand this fact of life?

  • Shootist007 Level 6 Level 6 (16,640 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2013 11:38 AM (in response to Csound1)

    Dell for one. I just upgrade my E6420 from an i5 to an i7 CPU.

    Csound1 wrote:

     

    Shootist007 wrote:

     

     

     

    And by the way Apple still soldered both the GPU and CPU to the logic board. No sockets like in other make notebooks. They more then likely do that with all there system, notebooks and iMac, except maybe the Mac Pro line, which is dead anyway.

     

    Which 'Other' notebooks use socketed CPU and GPU, we'd like to know.

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,250 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2013 12:01 PM (in response to Shootist007)

    Shootist007 wrote:

     

    Dell for one. I just upgrade my E6420 from an i5 to an i7 CPU.

    Csound1 wrote:

     

    Shootist007 wrote:

     

     

     

    And by the way Apple still soldered both the GPU and CPU to the logic board. No sockets like in other make notebooks. They more then likely do that with all there system, notebooks and iMac, except maybe the Mac Pro line, which is dead anyway.

     

    Which 'Other' notebooks use socketed CPU and GPU, we'd like to know.

    Yup, they do, I have repaired many of them, shame it's never the processor that needs it though.

  • TYDYsails Level 2 Level 2 (150 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2013 12:04 PM (in response to Keith Walsh)

    This is a reply to the original post so I do not upset any recent commentators.

     

    This is an Apple Discussion Board and I have spent part of my day deleting emails forwarded to me from this discussion. Unfortunately, most of them seem to be of a more personal nature that do nothing to support a case against Apple or help anyone with anything. Maybe those concerned should move over to Twitter or similar to continue their discussion.

     

    Whilst I am here, I can say that the Apple "test" at an Authorised Reseller cost me £55. The same as it cost to confirm the Seagate HD on my iMac had failed. The quoted logicboard replacement cost was £550 or so. Yes, these are prices in UK pounds - not US dollars. I had it replaced privately for £450. So those of you lucky enough to get the replacement done for $310 should consider yourselves very lucky. The nice people at Covent Garden are too far away from me here in the UK to make the trip viable.

     

    Personally, I shall not be buying a new replacement until I do hear that some changes have been made to the logicboards. They still seem to be failing without Apple taking ownership. I have my fingers crossed that mine keeps going at least for a while. I find myself shutting it down at night and only turning on when I need it. It always stayed powered up before and just left to sleep. Again, unfortunately, I have to use Windows at work and simply hate it. An alternative brand that could run the Apple OS would be perfect but is not likely to happen.

     

    TY

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,250 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2013 12:06 PM (in response to TYDYsails)

    TYDYsails wrote:

     

    snip

     

    Whilst I am here, I can say that the Apple "test" at an Authorised Reseller cost me £55. The same as it cost to confirm the Seagate HD on my iMac had failed. The quoted logicboard replacement cost was £550 or so. Yes, these are prices in UK pounds - not US dollars. I had it replaced privately for £450. So those of you lucky enough to get the replacement done for $310 should consider yourselves very lucky. The nice people at Covent Garden are too far away from me here in the UK to make the trip viable

    Covent Garden is in the UK

  • Bear grabber Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2013 1:23 PM (in response to TYDYsails)

    Thank you I was feeling the same.  The focus should be on the problem not personal attacks.

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,250 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2013 1:24 PM (in response to Bear grabber)

    Bear grabber wrote:

     

    Thank you I was feeling the same.  The focus should be on the problem not personal attacks.

    Good idea, what is the problem as you perceive it?

  • Shootist007 Level 6 Level 6 (16,640 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2013 1:32 PM (in response to Csound1)

    I think you are missing the point. With most if not all other brands of notebooks, not Netbook, if the mother, Logic, board goes you can MOVE the other parts to the new motherboard. If one of those other parts fail you only have to replace the failed part. With an Apple MBP, and iMac I would suspect, if ANY part fails you have to Replace, Pay for, All of Them.

    Csound1 wrote:

     

    Shootist007 wrote:

     

    Dell for one. I just upgrade my E6420 from an i5 to an i7 CPU.

    Csound1 wrote:

     

    Shootist007 wrote:

     

     

     

    And by the way Apple still soldered both the GPU and CPU to the logic board. No sockets like in other make notebooks. They more then likely do that with all there system, notebooks and iMac, except maybe the Mac Pro line, which is dead anyway.

     

    Which 'Other' notebooks use socketed CPU and GPU, we'd like to know.

    Yup, they do, I have repaired many of them, shame it's never the processor that needs it though.

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,250 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2013 1:35 PM (in response to Shootist007)

    Just agreeing with your point actually, the machine you posted does have a socketed processor.

  • Bear grabber Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2013 1:52 PM (in response to Csound1)

    I suspect it was the  Nvidia problem as my symptoms were similar to the many other posters.  My MBP crashed, ran very hot, couldn't see the battery, extensive diagnostic tests didn't pin point the problem, in the end Apple replaced the logic board, key board, battery and ram.  It was a mid 2010 15".  I was lucky in getting the right person on the phone after 3 trips to the Genius' and and 2 trips to a private apple approved vender didn't fix it.  It got sent to the depot in Tenn.  I'm grateful apple stood behind the unit though I'm a bit gun shy now. I've got smc fan control now and I'm very careful with the over heating.  My hope is if I keep it as cool as possible it won't die again for at least 3 years. I will say I'm backing everything up constantly so I've lost some confidence in MBP.  I love the OS so maybe an Imac next time or I'll move back to a PC laptop, that Dell sounds attractive. Before laying down another $2000.00 I'll need some more confidence that whatever is going on with the manufacturing issues is sorted out.  I also think being asked to put up an additional $300.00 to get 2 more years of coverage is a rip off when the PC's at considerably less money come with a 3 year warenty.  I think apple should be very careful with the way they are treating their loyal consumers.

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,250 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2013 2:01 PM (in response to Bear grabber)

    Thank you, now why don't you tell Apple .... Feedback

  • SeeClarity Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2013 2:07 PM (in response to Keith Walsh)

    I read on this forum when my macbook pro 2008 graphics card went out.  I had just missed the extended warranty by a month or two.  I tried going into an apple store, they wanted $300 for a flat fee to fix it.  Tried calling twice and apple support said it would cost more to fix it.  I know all computers will fail eventually but getting only four years out of a $2000 computer that IS KNOWN TO HAVE the same defect I experienced is ridiculous.  I don't bang my computer around or play system intensive video games.  The coverage for a defect this severe should be covered at least 8 years.

     

    I ended up finding a fix online where you literally bake the logic board in the oven.  Took everything apart, baked that SOB, put it back together and its been working for two weeks!  I love apple design and OS but a company this successful should back its products for defects in design.  That being said they probably don't care too much because many people, myself included, will buy another apple after this   XD

     

    Hope everyone gets their computers figured out.

    Peace.

1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 ... 87 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (28)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.