Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quick Look won't close

Hello,

For the last week or so, I find that occasionally, I can't get the quick look preview window to close. I hit space to preview a folder full of images, and when I was done viewing all of them, hitting space does not dismiss the quick look window. I tried clicking the x in the top left corner, tried setting it to full screen and clicking close, but that didn't work. The only solution is to log out and log in again. I couldn't find any associated processes in Activity Monitor.

MacBook 13.3" 2.4Ghz Black, Mac OS X (10.6.5), Windows 7 Pro x64

Posted on Dec 7, 2010 10:39 AM

12 replies

Dec 8, 2010 11:27 AM in response to bhall7

I've been experiencing the same thing recently. Sometimes the Quick Look window won't close, regardless of what keys I hit or clicking the 'x' button. It does seem that this only started happening after updating to 10.6.5.

Rather than logging out and in again, I relaunch the Finder using the "Force Quit" window (command-option-esc). It's still a hassle though.

EDIT: wait, I just found this thread: http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2659796&start=15&tstart=3 0 and I too am a SugarSync user. Going to try the suggested fix now.

Message was edited by: bunnyhero

Feb 1, 2011 2:13 AM in response to bhall7

If you're still stuck. Try right clicking an item in finder and using the contextual menu item: Close Quick Look.

For a while i was having the same problems, but am not a sugarSync user or any of the other noted problems, simply that Quick Look wouldn't close.

I found just now, that I had accidentally right-clicked an item in Finder to pop the contextual menu, and then had also accidentally clicked the "Quick Look [some file folder or application]". Well, when I pressed spacebar to close it: nothing. When I pressed the close button in the top left corner: nothing. Esc key: nothing. Then I right-clicked again to see the "Close Quick Look" option and KA-BOW! Goodbye [Eternity] Look! …and good riddance

FYI
right-clicking on a folder will give you different options than a file or application. So don't right-click on a folder or you won't see the "Close Quick Look" option.

Quick Look won't close

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.