Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3 accepts my serial number, but won't save it between launches

I have had Aperture 3 running just fine for months, and yesterday I had my logic board replaced under AppleCare for an unrelated problem. Now, when I launch Aperture, it asks me for my name and serial number. When I enter the info, it accepts it just fine, and Aperture finishes launching and all seems well. BUT, when I quit and relaunch it, it prompts me again for the same information. The default values for first name and last name are LegFName and LegLName, which I thought was odd.

What can I do to get Aperture to remember my serial number and user information between launches?

I am running the latest of everything, as I always accept updates whenever they are available. Thanks in advance for any advice.

MacBook Pro 17" 3.06GHz, 4GB/500GB, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 6:40 AM

8 replies

Dec 8, 2010 6:48 AM in response to Nic Heuser

Ah logic board replacements, can cause problems with a whole slew o things.

I would suggest trying to remove your preferences file first, move it to the desktop and relaunch Aperture. See if that makes a difference. The other thing would be to contact Apple, was the board changed at an Apple Store? If that gets you nowhere you can try a complete uninstall/reinstall.

Post back the results. I'm sure this will affect others in the future. Good luck

Dec 8, 2010 8:38 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thanks for the suggestions, Frank. I tried removing the preferences file, as well as the ProAppsSystemID file in /Library/Application Support/ProApps, but neither one helped. The logic board was replaced at the local Apple Store, but I'm not sure the Geniuses there have quite the expertise for this kind of thing, so I'll probably just call AppleCare. I thought I'd start by posting here, just in case someone would have a quick answer that would save me the trouble of calling Apple. I'll definitely post another reply when I have an answer.

Dec 8, 2010 8:50 PM in response to Nic Heuser

Okay, one important clarification from my last post. I said that I tried removing the file: /Library/Application Support/ProApps/ProAppsSystemID, but that's not quite right. From the same directory, I removed a file called "Aperture System ID" and that was not helpful, but apparently I had not tried removing the ProAppsSystemID file. I noticed that right after my last post, and when I removed the ProAppsSystemID file and relaunched Aperture, it came right up and worked perfectly. I checked the About... box, and all the correct information was displayed there. So, the problem was the ProAppsSystemID file, and the solution was to throw it out. I'm not sure what that file is for, or how it got there, but apparently Aperture is perfectly happy to run without it, so I'm happy too.

Aperture 3 accepts my serial number, but won't save it between launches

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.