Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook late 2010 Trackpad fault

I cannot drag any icons either on the desktop or in folders, the folder just quits to the desktop.All other trackpad functions seem to be fine, my MBA 13inch is 3 weeks old and is fantastic apart from this !
any ideas ?

imac-MacBook Air 2010-iPhone4-Apple TV-Time Capsule, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 9:13 AM

10 replies

Dec 8, 2010 10:44 AM in response to macsync

OK. Have to ask. First, try deleting the /Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist file then relaunch the Finder (press COMMAND-OPTION-ESC, select Finder, click Relaunch button; or open Terminal in Utilities folder and enter the command: killall Finder. Press RETURN.

If this doesn't help then create a new user account. Log into the new account. Does the problem cease? If not then return to your normal account and delete the new account you created. Now boot into safe mode to see if the problem ceases.

Dec 8, 2010 11:44 AM in response to macsync

I'm confused. New user works fine, but not certain ones. What are these certain ones? Did you try Safe Mode? If everything actually is working the a new account, then that means the problem is limited to your user account. Something in your Home folder. Before going off on a tear tell me specifically what icons are on the Desktop that you cannot move in the new user account or old one depending on where? And, by chance did these unmovable icons come from the Dock?

Dec 8, 2010 12:43 PM in response to Kappy

Sorry I'm probably not explaining very well - the new user account is working fine no problems.

In my user account I can drag the hard disc and mobileMe icons anywhere on the desktop but 2 pdf icons, which were created in Pages, will not drag when I try to - all icons disappear for a couple of seconds then reappear. When I try to drag any icon within a folder, the folder quits and I'm back to the desktop.

I have tried starting in safe mode but to no avail.

Thank you for your patience!

Dec 8, 2010 1:46 PM in response to macsync

Is the Finder itself quitting? If so then the Finder window will close and all the drive icons will disappear. Any open Finder windows disappear but will reappear when the Finder restarts. Is this what's happening? If so then the typical fix is removing the com.apple.finder.plist file in /Home/Library/Preferenes/. But you say that did not work?

OK, then try it this way: Reboot the computer into single-user mode. At the prompt enter:
/sbin/mount -uw /
rm -rf /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist
restart

Upon restarting immediately open Disk Utility and repair permissions. Go to CNet Downloads or MacUpdate and download AppleJack 1.6. Read the documentation and install the software. Run the software according to the instructions. You might also try How to Reset the PRAM

Macbook late 2010 Trackpad fault

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.