Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MIssing image quality warning!? (yellow triangle !)

so in photo 10, when adding low quality / low resolution images to my books or calendars, i used to get a yellow triangle warning me that the quality is not good enough. i also got the warning when enlarging a photo beyond a certain point.

since upgrading to iphoto 11, i can NEVER get this warning to show up?

even when i place obviously low quality / low resolution images, and i enlarge them, I don't see that icon?! no matter what i do, the icon doesn't come up!

has Apple removed this warning? does everyone have it except me? is it an option to turn on and off? this is driving me crazy!

MacBook Pro / imac, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 10:24 AM

14 replies

Dec 8, 2010 1:16 PM in response to gaith

try renewing your iPhoto preference file - A good general step for strange issues is to renew the iPhoto preference file - quit iPhoto and go to "your user name" ==> library ==> preferences ==> com.apple.iPhoto.plist and trash it - launch iPhoto which creates a fresh new default preference file and reset any personal preferences you have changed and if you have moved the iPhoto library repoint to it. This may help

This does not affect your photos or any database information (keywords, faces, places, ratings, etc) in any way - they are stored in the iPhoto library - the iPhoto preference file simply controls how iPhoto works - which is why renewing it is a good first step.

LN

Dec 8, 2010 2:33 PM in response to gaith

Yes I agree! I just received the first of 3 calendars and some of the camera images from my sisters are not good enough for the single image per calendar page. Previous versions saved this and I'd pick a larger number of images on the pages to reduce the need for a large high quality image. I will try the preference refresh, but I've got over $75 worth of calendars coming and I'm embarassed to send the 1st one off. My Mom will know it's the quality of the image, but it would have been so easy if that triangle had been there.

Dec 8, 2010 10:17 PM in response to gaith

preference trick only messed things up... now my library can't see any photo! i had to restore from a backup...

are you telling me that apple did not include this in iphoto11?

OR

my iphoto is not working properly!

what is the consensus on this one? can everyone share their experience pls...

Dec 8, 2010 11:13 PM in response to gaith

preference trick only messed things up... now my library can't see any photo! i had to restore from a backup.

Unless you did something wrong or had moved you library and sdid not repoint to it this is not possible - renewing the preference fils cannot modify your iPhoto library in any way

As to the problem you reported
it looks like it may be a bug - I am going to report to Apple - iPhoto menu ==> provide iPhoto feedback

LN

Dec 12, 2010 9:45 PM in response to gaith

It seems it is not included in iPhoto 11. My wife just made a calendar and when we previewed it, it is clear that many of the pictures are too small to look good. iPhoto never told us this. I even took a few tiny web images and stuck them in and never got a warning. This seems like a horrible idea since people are use to being warned when an image is not good. Hopefully this will get added in an update.

Dec 14, 2010 4:38 PM in response to hrc333

This is simply HORRENDOUS! I have the same problem too and it for sure seems to be missing from iPhoto'11. Luckily (for me) I realized this before clicking the final Buy button, so I only wasted a week or so waiting for iPhoto'11 to arrive and building my books. But wowowow isn't this the worst possible timing - coming out with a flawed product like this just before Christmas – wonder how many hundreds or thousands of disappointed calendar and book buyers there will be, expecting high quality products for their not insignificant cash spending, and receiving crap! Euw bad bad bad. Apple DO SOMETHING about this NOW!

Dec 14, 2010 9:38 PM in response to gaith

I just spent a week creating my annual family calendar in iPhoto '11, didn't see the yellow low-quality image warning triangles from past iPhoto versions and assumed all the photos were decent enough to publish. Boy was I wrong. When I went to order the calendars, during the assembly process I kept getting low-quality image messages, but it only gave the name of the photo file and stopped processing at that page. It didn't show me what photo it was, so I had to figure out which image it was by using "spotlight" and entering the file name. What a pain in the ***.

Once I fixed the offending image, I had to start the entire order process over again, reconfirm payment and shipment information, only to keep getting a low-quality image error message again, and again, and again. It couldn't have saved all the poor-quality images messages for 1 message, so I could fix all the problematic images at once and only have to resubmit the order once. No, it only told me image by image, page by page, if there was a problem, causing me to have to resubmit my order 7 times. It took me 45 minutes to finally order my calendar. I am not happy. I've been ordering my calendars through iPhoto since 2008 and have never had this much difficulty with image-quality messages and order processing.

The photos that caused the error messages were those that other people had sent me that weren't very good quality, and that I had edited once placed in the calendar. Once I deleted the edited version and replaced with the original version, I didn't get an error message. If the image was just too poor quality to begin with and I couldn't use the edited version, then I replaced it altogether.

I just don't know if anyone else has had this much trouble with uploading and ordering their calendars. I hope Apple reinstates the low-quality image warning system that tells us BEFORE we try to place an order which images may have problems. Or at least just give us ONE error message after assembling the calendar that includes ALL the offending images (including the thumbnails, not just the file names), so we don't have to go back over and over and over again and have the ordering process be so incredibly frustrating.

Dec 15, 2010 7:55 PM in response to gaith

I just spent a week creating an book and ran into the same problems. After getting the poor image resolutions one by one and spending an hour trying to find new photos of better image quality, I got turned down by my credit card company because it was getting too many charge requests from the Apple site. This is now an extremely frustrating process without the quality warning. I hope Apple fixes this problem ASAP! I'm hesitant to order any book/calendar/etc. without a fix for this.....

Dec 18, 2010 1:51 AM in response to gaith

provided feedback to apple...

can everyone reading this take one minute to fill out the feedback form? thanks

this year has been extremely disappointing for me with regards to apple products: first aperture upgrade that was a complete disaster, then an iphone software issue, and now this!!!!!!! mistakes that should never have happened.

Dec 16, 2012 7:31 PM in response to maddiexxx

I was very disappointed this year when making a calendar with IPhoto ... I too missed the warning signs about photo quality. When the product arrived, the paper that it came on made many of the colors in the photo look blotchy. I also was extremely frustrated by the interface ... it seemed much more difficult than before to get the pictures that I wanted in a folder. Two years ago, one of the calendars that I ordered came with the pages all mixed up/upside down/out of order. My inlaws did not tell me that the calendar was wrong until much later, so I never called this in to complain. However, I have been really disappointed by the product this time around. Am thinking it is the paper that they use because so many of the photos look bad or came out darker than what they appeared to be on screen.

I called Apple and complained and they gave me a refund. I'm not sure that I will use Apple for this service again, which is a shame because I like the elegance/simplicity of the modern calendar layout.

MIssing image quality warning!? (yellow triangle !)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.