Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A1175 at 10.6v or 11.1v?

Hi All,

The battery in my old MacBook Pro has died (or at least it only lasting a few minutes). I need a new battery but I’m getting a little confused.

Put simply, does it matter whether I buy an A1175 rated at 10.6v or 11.1v?

For example:
.. a battery advertised as "5600mAh at 11.1v" is approx 62wH
.. a battery advertised as "60wH at 10.6v" is approx 5600mAh

I couldn’t find much info on this forum. Both have the same mAh but would a 11.1v battery cause any damage?

Thanks,
Matt

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 9, 2010 5:26 AM

5 replies

Dec 9, 2010 4:24 PM in response to Mateus109

Do not be overly concerned with these numbers for such batteries. The numbers for watt-hours, voltage, and so on, are only typical, and only under certain conditions that have not been specified here. Various vendors can parrot such numbers and have no meaning, other than they are supposedly appropriate for this product that fits this computer.

I would be much more concerned about the reputation of the seller for a quality product and warranty or refund service, in case you receive a duff unit - which will be more likely to happen with lower priced units.

Dec 13, 2010 1:10 AM in response to louie

Of course the problem with trying to analyse seller reputation (and I'm not just talking about eBay) is that batteries, even really terrible ones, will last a few months before showing any problems. Most feedback is given within a week of a buyer receiving the product, so the seller maybe selling dud batteries but has a good reputation.

My feeling was to try and understand all the technical facts about batteries and then use this knowledge to challenge sellers; I'd then go with the seller I felt most confident with. There seems to be a lot of batteries advertises on the web where the seller either has no technical understanding or is purposely misleading the buyer.

M.

Dec 13, 2010 7:28 AM in response to Mateus109

My opinion is that there is no sense in challenging a vendor's abilities by questioning their voltage specification. All of the quoted numbers are technically correct, as there is a range of feasible voltages for the same battery, depending upon the exact conditions of the test. For what its worth, the original Apple A1175 lists the voltage as 10.8v. Even then, batteries can still go bad after some period of use.

This is why I feel that the vendor's reputation, especially for long-term warranty fulfillment, and length of being in business, is most important - even if their price is higher. I would look for independent review websites that rate vendors, and not rely on vendor supplied "feedback". I think you take much more risk by buying the very low-priced batteries.

A1175 at 10.6v or 11.1v?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.