Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Verify/repair permissions grayed out in disk utility

I recently replaced my main hard drive and now when I go into Disk Utility the option to verify and repair disk permissions is not available on the other drives that were in the machine before the upgrade

I am thinking it's a permission issue but not sure what needs to be set to fix it

MacPro Intel, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 9, 2010 10:19 AM

9 replies

Dec 9, 2010 10:21 AM in response to Chris Bojanower1

Select a drive then Press COMMAND-I to open the Get Info window. At the bottom in the Sharing and Ownership section pane look for a checkbox labeled, "Ignore permissions on this volume." It must be unchecked in order to repair permissions. If it's checked then click on the lock icon, authenticate, then uncheck that box. You may need to relaunch the Finder or restart the computer for the change to be recognized.

Dec 9, 2010 11:09 AM in response to thomas_r.

Tom,

No, you're correct if you want to correctly repair them on your startup volume. But DU will repair permissions on any selected volume that has a bootable system installed on it or a volume on which the, "Ignore permissions ...." option is checked. Of course there aren't any permissions on a data volume for DU to repair so the process goes really fast. User uploaded file

Dec 9, 2010 11:36 AM in response to thomas_r.

No problem. It puzzled me for a while. Now I check it every time I format a drive since DU doesn't correctly set the permissions needed. It's a pain that when you clone one startup drive to another, say for backup, and erase the destination in advance that the drive's ownership and permissions will be wrong. Then you try repairing permissions like the OP did and find those options are grayed out, and you are staring at the monitor trying to figure out why. PITA. User uploaded file

Jan 24, 2011 9:40 AM in response to Chris Bojanower1

I installed a 2nd drive on my Mac Pro:
Disk Description : WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B0 Media Total Capacity : 931.5 GB (1,000,204,886,016 Bytes)
Connection Bus : Serial ATA 2 Write Status : Read/Write
Connection Type : Internal S.M.A.R.T. Status : Verified
Connection ID : "Bay 2"

There is no OS on this HD; but what if drive is acting slow? Should there be a way of checking &/or repairing?

Verify/repair permissions grayed out in disk utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.