Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dynamic DNS support

Hi all,

Does Mac OSX server addition supports dynamic DNS configuration?

Ziv

PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Dec 13, 2005 4:15 AM

7 replies

Dec 13, 2005 12:09 PM in response to Ziv Jacoby

Yes, it does, but if the actual server IP changes, certain DNS dependent functions may not work (i.e. OD master setup).

Best way to do it is to have a 3rd party device (DSL/Cable modem, or linksys/netgear type internet gateway) handle the PPPoE or DHCP connection, and turn on NAT, and thus have a static, non-routable address for the server. Then you can just grab an update client here:

http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/mac.html

Hi all,

Does Mac OSX server addition supports dynamic DNS
configuration?

Ziv

iBook G4 Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Dec 13, 2005 12:44 PM in response to Ziv Jacoby

Mac OS X server doesn't support this by itself. The way most folks handle it is to set up a free account at dyndns.org (or somewhere similar), and create a hostname like 'myHost.dyndns.org.'

Then, set up a CNAME record on your Mac DNS server, called something like 'myHost.myDomain.com' and have it resolve to 'myHost.dyndns.org.'

This way, a change in your server's IP address will get updated by your local DNS server, so you can always refer to your server using the 'myHost.myDomain.com' hostname. You will need to use one of the clients I mentioned above in order to communicate the address changes to the dyndns.org service.

What I meant by 'dynamic DNS' is that a change in the
DHCP asssigned IP will propagate to the DNS server.
I don't see how this appp will help.

Dec 13, 2005 7:35 PM in response to Dave Walcott

While APPLE does not "support" this, the software that comes preinstalled in Mac OS X does, namely Bind 9.x.

I have successfully scripted clients to update my Tiger Server's DNS tables using TSIG keys.

The one part I HAVE NOT PERSONALLY done is the triggering of that DNS update from the DHCP handout. Worse case scenario, I can think of ways this can be triggered from the client, but I suspect it would be best to trigger from the server.

I think by using the DHCP Static Mapping feature and some static DNS zone files you could more easily (and immediately) accomplish the same thing (or so I think). Is there a reason it wouldn't?

Careful with your surefire advice Dave 😉 Apple actually touted Dynamic DNS as a feature of Tiger before it was released. It's still in there, but Apple just isn't bragging about it anymore.

Dec 13, 2005 9:20 PM in response to jaydisc

Careful with your surefire advice Dave 😉 Apple
actually touted Dynamic DNS as a feature of Tiger
before it was released. It's still in there, but
Apple just isn't bragging about it anymore.

When the poster wrote:

What I meant by 'dynamic DNS' is that a change
in the DHCP asssigned IP will propagate to the
DNS server.

I assumed (perhaps errantly, on second read) that s/he meant a DHCP address change on the server's WAN interface in a NAT environment. BIND would be completely clueless about this, and there's no OS support for it. As mentioned, 3rd party intervention would be required (in the form of some scripting, or one of the third party clients) to make this fly.

For dynamic LAN DNS zones, yes, there's actually been support for this since Jaguar Server (10.2), but not through the GUI admin apps.

Dynamic DNS support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.