Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wolsky vs others on the benefit of using iMovie '06 during tape transfer

I'm having a hard time getting a certain issue joined, so let me make the choice stark. Here is something Tom Wolsky said:

"There is no difference between capturing DV tape in iMovie 06 or iMovie 11. The difference is in the project. I can't speak to which will give better output for DVD. Those more experienced with iMovie than I say the older version is better, and I have no reason to doubt them. Certainly you can produce better results with FCS."

As far as I can tell, this has been contradicted by at least two people--in the sense that they have claimed that the benefit of iMovie comes precisely in the importing (transfer from tape to computer). Which side is right?

But there seems to be a problem with the others' claim: If the benefit (only?) comes during the initial importing from tape, why would they also say that the only time you need to use iMovie rather than a later version is when your end product is a DVD? A higher quality imported product would improve the look of a movie on the computer and the Internet too, would it not?

MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.6.5), 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Time Capsule + 2 LaCi d2 Quadras with eSATA connections

Posted on Dec 10, 2010 1:19 PM

52 replies

Dec 10, 2010 3:03 PM in response to Paul Bullen

"There is no difference between capturing DV tape in iMovie 06 or iMovie 11." (Wolsky)

I just noticed something: What does Wolsky mean by "DV tape"? In my case, the tapes were analog 8 mm (Video8), which after transfer to my computer (using iMovie '09) became DV files (files with a .dv ending). But there were no DV tapes involved.

I gather there is a form of video tape called Digital Video (DV) and there is a form of video computer file called a Digital Video (DV) file. Are the names only coincidentally the same, other than the fact that they are both digital and both video? And does Wolsky's talk of "capture DV tape" mean that it doesn't apply to other kinds of tape or medium?

Dec 10, 2010 6:16 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

"There is no difference between capturing DV tape in iMovie 06 or iMovie 11." (Wolsky)

I just noticed something: What does Wolsky mean by "DV tape"? In my case, the tapes were analog 8 mm (Video8), which after transfer to my computer (using iMovie '09) became DV files (files with a .dv ending). But there were no DV tapes involved. (Bullen)

DV tape or DV converter is the same. It's DV whether it's come from a tape or come from analog converter through a box that is essentially a camera without a lens on the front. (Wolsky)

I don't understand this. As far as I know there was no converter box involved in the capturing of what was on my analog 8 mm video tapes. I used an 8 mm VCR, a Firewire cable, a computer, and iMovie '09.

But let me ask if you think this is true: "There is no difference between capturing (digital or analog) tape as .dv files using iMovie '06 or iMovie '11." In other words, that as far as the process of importing video content from tape to computer goes, what you get at the end is the same using iMovie '11 as it would be using iMovie '06. And this includes when the tapes you are starting with are 8 mm analog (sometimes called Video8). And you would get the same results using iMovie '09 too. (I add that since I only bought iMovie '11 after making my transfers.)

For me this not an academic question. If it is true that iMovie '06 produces a superior image, then there is a strong reason for me to spend countless hours retransferring all my old tapes, which I only recently transferred using iMovie '09. In addition, I would probably have to spend $500 to buy an 8mm VCR. I had only temporary access to one before.

By the way, is "importing" the right word here.

Dec 10, 2010 6:45 PM in response to Paul Bullen

If you're using a deck which will output your Video8 media in DV format it's DV. And it's coming off tape, even if it is analog tape. Your deck is digitizing it into DV. Your deck is acting as a converter. You cannot edit analog video inside a computer. It has to be digitized. That's what your deck is doing. I don't see what the problem is. I don't see where the confusion is. Once it's in your computer your media is DV. It's coming out of the box as DV. That's what it is. It's DV. Simple.

I've said what I'm going to say about iMovie 6 and 11. I have nothing more to say on that.

iMovie calls it all importing regardless of how it gets into the application. Jumbling different functionalities into a single terminology seems fairly silly to me, but there you have it.

Dec 10, 2010 7:52 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom,
First, my assumption is that (a) you know what you are talking about (b) whatever you are saying, it is true. I am also very grateful for the help you have provided.

If you're using a deck which will output your Video8 media in DV format it's DV.

If by this you mean that if one uses a deck that outputs one's Video8 media in DV format it (the output) will be in the DV format, then it is tautological--and hence question begging. Still, I get the implicit point, which you proceed immediately to make below: the empirical (non-tautological) claim that the conversion from analog to digital takes place inside the VCR I used and that the VCR's output is in the form of something called DV.

And it's coming off tape, even if it is analog tape. Your deck is digitizing it into DV. Your deck is acting as a converter.

This is what was news to me. One reason it did not occur to me is that I could have done--I thought--the same thing using my camcorder (if my camcorder was still working). And I didn't think that my camcorder had something in it that will convert analog signals into digital. No one was expecting to transfer their tapes onto computers in 1987, when I bought my camcorder. BUT come to think of it, if I had used my camcorder, I think I would have had to buy some little extra device to do the converting to digital. I think the Firewire cable attaches to this little thing and it attaches to the computer. Or something like that. If so, the VCR has something in it that the camcorder does not. I used the only VCR that is commercially available, The Sony Digital 8mm Video Walkman GV-D200 (now apparently called Digital8 Portable Video Recorder, http://tinyurl.com/25yeq2p). I didn't realize that VCRs can convert analog signals to digital.

You cannot edit analog video inside a computer. It has to be digitized. That's what your deck is doing.

There's no reason in principle that whatever does the converting to digital couldn't be located in the computer. I sort of thought that was what the software did. But my understanding of these things limited.

I don't see what the problem is. I don't see where the confusion is. Once it's in your computer your media is DV. It's coming out of the box as DV. That's what it is. It's DV. Simple.

My confusion is primarily caused by two things (a) insufficient background knowledge and (b) my limited intelligence. More particularly, my confusion comes from the fact that I did not know that what came out of my VCR was already in the DV form and from the fact that you spoke of DV tape when I, in fact, had no tape that was DV. Things are, of course, simpler when you understand them.

Also, I took the DV format to be one among many digital formats. I had no reason to think that VCRs not only can convert signals from analog to digital, but that they happen to do in the particular format called DV (which I am taking to cover any file that ends in .dv).

I've said what I'm going to say about iMovie 6 and 11. I have nothing more to say on that.

I won't hold it against you if you violate this announcement. After all, you might think of something new.

It appears that those who advocate for iMovie '06 believe that iMovie does something in the "importing" process that results in a .dv file that is superior to the .dv file you get when you import using iMovie '11. But I would like to hear from them whether they also accept this characterization by you: "The difference is in the project. I can't speak to which will give better output for DVD. Those more experienced with iMovie than I say the older version is better, and I have no reason to doubt them."

They apparently don't believe that the difference is only in the project. But do they believe that the difference is additionally in the project? And do they also believe that regardless of what was used to import from video tapes, iMovie '06 generates a superior output to DVD? So, if I were not going to retransfer and re-import all my tapes, would my DVDs still be better if I made them using iMovie '06?

Again, thank you for you patience and help. If anyone can suggest a book that provides the sort of background knowledge I am lacking, I will happily read it. Thanks.

Dec 10, 2010 8:08 PM in response to Paul Bullen

You cannot edit analog video inside a computer. It has to be digitized. That's what your deck is doing. (Wolsky)

There's no reason in principle that whatever does the converting to digital couldn't be located in the computer. I sort of thought that was what the software did. But my understanding of these things limited. (Bullen)

In response to myself, I guess the answer would be: it is in the very nature of software that it can only deal with digital things. So there is no way software could do this converting. Yes, it would be possible to fit a conversion box inside the housing of a computer, but it still wouldn't be part of the computer.

But this is lay speculation since I do not maintain an intimate daily connection with this realm of theoretical knowledge. I've been forced into this by the need to salvage some deteriorating analog video tapes.

Message was edited by: Paul Bullen

Dec 10, 2010 8:51 PM in response to Paul Bullen

Like most people, I have a natural tendency to want to use the latest software. I like to think that over time features get improved and bugs reduced. (If you have been using computers a long time (1970s) like I have you know that this is usually, but not always the case.)

So, I was highly motivated to see if iMovie 11 would be good for making DVD's.

I read conflicting reports that iMovie 11 had improved its ability for capturing DV tape (or DV from set top boxes). So I decided to try it out.

I spent many hours trying, (and re-trying) all the iMovie 11 quality "work arounds" but my DVDs never look as good as when I use iMovie 06 with iDVD 11 (no work arounds needed).

In my testing, I am using a high-end Mac Pro, (running Snow Leopard) Taiyo Yuden DVD+Rs (and a few DVD-Rs), and displaying the result using several DVD players and several televisions including a Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD Plasma TV.

The iMovie 11 videos were slightly, (but definitely noticeable) more grainy. iMovie 11 gave me more noticeable combing artifacts than did iMovie 06.

Compared to today's standards DV Video's quality is not that great, so I don't want to lose ANYTHING in my conversion, I have no quality to "spare".

Transferring DV tape using iMovie 06 is super easy, a few mouse clicks and I'm done. (And making a still image from a video frame is just two mouse clicks, no other software required.)

Can you make a DVD using iMovie 11? YES, (and the quality may be acceptable for most people). But for the best result, in my opinion, you should use Final Cut Express or iMovie 06. (with iDVD 08-11)

From MacWorld iMovie 11 review, in part:

"Cons; Interlaced video still hampered by single-field processing"

http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/710254/review/imovie11.html?expand=true&lsrc=rssmain

Dec 21, 2010 12:48 PM in response to Paul Bullen

Paul,

You probably had the 1999 version of a Sony Digital 8, for which Sony retrofitted it to encode DV recording onto 8mm tape. You get only 40min of DV recording on a 1 hr tape, as opposed to a regular miniDV recorder which can record 60min on a 60min tape in SP mode. Having said that, what you got out of the Firewire link (or iLink) is an actual DV stream file in your computer. Since iMovie has a native DV codec, the file is treated as native. However, DV recording in interlaced, though they can be either be edited in progressive or interlaced NLE stations. Suffice to say, if you are editing iMovie on an LCD screen, you are editing progressive DV video. From this point on, iMovie 6HD and iMovie 11 are pretty much the same. Even the DV stream file iMovie 11 created is good on Windows PC machine. It is when you finalize the movie to share > media browser is where the 2 programs seemed to diverge!

You see, you can not burn a progressive video to DVD without going through a process called deinterlacing, which takes a progressive video and convert into interlaced. DVD is interlaced because it was intended to be shown in the old CRT tube, which happens to be interlaced too! HDTV is progressive scanning. The problem becomes, what algorithm did Apple use to deinterlace the progressive video file edited in iMovie so iDVD can burn the DVD on.

The symptom of a poor deinterlacer will result in the resolution of the video rendered to be halved the original and full of artifacts.

However, I found a way that reduced this effect.

Share > mediabrowser seemed to improve the quality. Plus in iDVD, you can select one of the 3 encoding schemes (performance, high quality and professional quality). After that, they seemed to help improve the final DVD output if you get the combination right. But this video output seemed a bit lower in contrast, has a bit more noise and artifacts (I use a standard color bar and resolution chart for tests).
What's also confusing is this. Why performance encoding takes up so much room in a single layer DVD and why high quality takes up so much less room is a bit of a mystery.

Then, I found that another way to reduce buzzing edges (combing artifact) from the interlace DVD video by finalizing the movie to a DV sream file, using Export to DV stream. Select aspect ratio and output to "interlace" instead of progressive. Burn the same way
in iDVD with one of the 3 encoding schemes you desire.
The output is a bit brighter and buzzing edges in moving motion is much less giving a sharper image output.

You see, I had to waste 20 different burns to get something just as good as PC.
The Apple Genius people were hopeless on this issue. I did not pursue this project further for other types of video because I don't see how I could yield any better results you get from the PC and I don't fathom wasting any more DVDs. But for a consumer editor, this isn't really bad.

Last but not least, the finalized DVDs were viewed with a Sony BD player upconverted to 1080p to a Panasonic Alpha-IPS panel 42" HDTV.

Dec 21, 2010 3:29 PM in response to Coolmax

Thank you for detailed explanation.

You probably had the 1999 version of a Sony Digital 8, for which Sony retrofitted it to encode DV recording onto 8mm tape.

I don't think it renders what you say irrelevant, but what I used was the original analog 8 mm videotape (sometimes called Video8) in a Sony camcorder bought in 1988, specifically the Sony Auto Handycam/Video Camera Recorder Model No. CCD-V5. I think this model was first made in 1987, although the tape used had been around for longer. I made the mistake of ordering a box of Fuji tape when I bought the camera--unless deterioration only begins after you use a tape. Because I had a box of the tapes, for several years I was using tapes made in 1988. That last filming I did was in 1997, but probably with a tape that had been bought a few years before.

Dec 21, 2010 3:56 PM in response to Coolmax

And I used a Digital8 Portable Video Recorder (also called a Digital-8 Walkman) Model number: GV-D200 (see http://tinyurl.com/25yeq2p and http://tinyurl.com/ycfkkd3) to play the tapes into my computer. Little did I realize that this VCR digitized whatever was coming off the tapes, and so--as I now understand it--what was coming into my computer and into iMovie was in the DV format (whatever that means). Tom Wolsky says that what entered the computer and the softwares was a series of 1s and 0s (presumably not literally, although I'm not sure what it would mean to be literally a 1 or a 0). If the claims that "importing" into iMovie '06 produces a better visual quality than importing into later versions of iMovie are correct, then iMovie must be doing something to those 1s and 0s. It isn't being completely passive in the importation process.

Dec 21, 2010 4:01 PM in response to Paul Bullen

If the claims that "importing" into iMovie '06 produces a better visual quality than importing into later versions of iMovie are correct, then iMovie must be doing something to those 1s and 0s. It isn't being completely passive in the importation process.

And by "doing something to those 1s and 0s" I don't mean bending them so they becomes 2s or 3s or whatever, but deleting some of them, adding some 1s or 0s, or rearranging them. On the level of physics, what exactly does it mean to say there are only 1s and 0s? And isn't the dichotomy between analog and digital something of a convenient myth. I seem to recall a lecture by Lessig or someone that made digital seem less black (1) and white (0).

Dec 21, 2010 11:19 PM in response to Paul Bullen

Paul,

When you import your DV footage from the Walkman through Firewire, it's digital 1s and 0s. The problem is with iMovie and how it handles that footage.

Apparently though, and through all my trials, iMovie 11 DOES INDEED degrade imported footage including DV either through capture from camera or import from a pristine DV file. I did a test using Vidi and recorded the footage made years ago using iMovie 6HD from Print to tape and the quality of the capture using Vidi is perfect. Exact duplicate of the MiniDV tape. The opening texts are smooth, motion smooth, little noise and still image resolution is on par. However, when I made the same capture using iMovie 11 however, the texts look blocky, still images look like half of the resolution, noisy artifacts and combing artifacts. However, the results were acceptably fair when you output it using share > media browser.
What I don't understand is this, why captured video using Vidi is identical to the original tape footage made by iMovie 6HD, whereas captured video using iMovie 11 was not. In fact, I had problems with lost time code with iMovie 11 (clips were all over the place -- granted this tape is 5 years old already). But with Vidi, no time code lost as well as with Windows Movie Maker using the same tape.
So obviously, no one can place the blame on my tape.

However, if I do my own approach which is this.

1, Capture using Vidi (bypassing iMovie capture routine)
2, Use Quicktime to load the DV file captured by Vidi and save as HD 480P 2Mbit/s H.264 format

Now when I load this file (which is way smaller than the DV file) into iMovie 11, the clips LOOK EXACTLY like the tape footage and the DV file captured by Vidi on Quicktime.

Now, when I load the 1 Gb DV file captured by Vidi into iMovie 11, I get blocky texts, still images half its resolution, noise and artifacts. I get some noise artifacts on the 480P HD file because of the H.264 compression, but still is ways better than loading the original DV file.

No matter how you slice and dice it, iMovie 11 will not preserve the original quality of the DV file or captured footage and when you export it to DVD, it gets worse.

Whereas, when I edit the 480P HD footage of the same source converted using Quicktime, exporting to DV stream or to DVD looses very little quality. It looks darn good.

So comes my question.

I suspect perhaps there's a problem with iMovie 11's DV capturing and de-interlacing routine?!? Why could Vidi capture the same footage authentically when iMovie 11 can not? And why do I have to convert this DV file into H.264 progressive to edit and then export properly to iDVD?!? It seemed to like H.264 encoding as all my other test videos were done in HD encoded in H.264 too and had good results output to DVD.

Dec 22, 2010 12:57 AM in response to Coolmax

Apparently though, and through all my trials, iMovie 11 DOES INDEED degrade imported footage including DV either through capture from camera or import from a pristine DV file.

Does this apply to iMovie '09 too? That's what I used when I transferred my tapes to the computer via the Walkman Digital 8 VCR. If it does, then it suggests I need to get my hands on an 8 mm VCR again and redo the 30 hours of work (not to mention redoing all the editing I have done of the earlier transfers). Unfortunately, I don't own the Walkman Digital 8 VCR, so I would have to buy one for about $500. But from what you are saying, it sounds like I wouldn't need to buy iMovie '06. I could just use the Vidi freeware.

Wolsky vs others on the benefit of using iMovie '06 during tape transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.