Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV displaying the spinning buffering wheel while playing movies!?

Hello,
I have been using the "classic" ATV with no issue, until lately it has been exhibiting very odd behavior: whenever I play a movie purchased from the iTunes Store, it will display the spinning (loading?) wheel in the middle of the screen. Constantly. It happens whether I play the movie or any of the clips in an iTunes extras file. What is going on? I tried signing out and back into iTunes store under Settings. Occasionally that seems to fix it, but not always. Especially not with the Extras content. ANy idea what's going on? Is it buffering? Trying to access the iTunes store (if so, why?). And what do I need to do to make it STOP doing that? I can't really watch a movie or special features like that. I can post a pic if my description is not clear. To clarify: this is the original ATV so it's not streaming: it's playing from its own hard drive synced to my iTunes library.
Thanks!

ATV, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 10, 2010 10:07 PM

10 replies

Dec 12, 2010 10:56 AM in response to Lucanaut

I have the same problem and this is what I sent to there support Email "First gen Apple Tv, rent movies all the time, but last night when I rented a movie the screen goes to "Accessing ITunes Store" with a meatball spinning. That's as far as it went never did that before it would normaly switch to the rental screen and show the percentage downloaded. As my only way to check what might be wrong I went to my Mac book pro and rented a movie an it went without a hitch. Also on the Apple tv I was and I'm still able to use the internet radioand YouTube."
you can't talk with a real person because I bought the Apple TV over a year ago. if you figure out the issue please let me know.
rich

Dec 12, 2010 11:13 AM in response to Chenks

Yes - yesterday. Initially they seemed to work, but I tried again today and the spinning wheel is back. First off I'm not sure what it means in the first place: is it buffering (on local content??) or trying to connect to the iTunes store? Again, the content plays just fine behind it so I have no idea what it's doing. Is the hard drive too full? I have 39 GB free out of 144 GB so it seems to be it should be ok

Dec 12, 2010 11:38 AM in response to Lucanaut

Bit more info - this only happens with movies that have iTunes Extras associated with them. I have a couple of movies I purchased that didn't have iTunes Extras and they play just fine. I guess I could try and sync them to the ATV without Extras, but 1/2 the reasons to buy movies on iTunes is for the extra content.

The only thing I changed when I bought the movies was adding album information so that in Album view, iTunes would group the movie and iTunes Extras file under one album art -- otherwise it looked kind of messy. I don't see how that should make a difference though.

Dec 14, 2010 10:18 PM in response to Lucanaut

I went pretty crazy and wrote a number of posts about ATV2 problems. I ended up spending a 100$ I didn't have on a high speed switch so I could hardwire my ATV2 to my Airport Extreme Router. Now, it works properly 9 times out of 10, leaving me generally satisfied, but still realizing there is probably some contributing problem out there in Apple cyberspace. There was an interesting sidelight, though, and I am hoping that a serious techie out there can address this for me and tell me if there could be a problem with my Airport Extreme, Airport Extremes in general, or something that is just characteristic of wireless communication in general. It might have a point of reference for many other posters.
At first I was upset because I was getting those "Ready to play in 2-6 hour messages" even though my Internet connection constantly tested at 15-20 Mbps on my iMac at numerous sites, not fast enough to set fire to my house, but certainly fast enough to avoid these messages. Then I did something I should have done first, I downloaded a Speed Test for my iPad so that I could check what kind of speeds were actually being received by my IPad at the same exact distance from the router as my Apple TV2. What I found was insane fluctuation. I did tests every 30 sec. for a half an hour. What I discovered was that my download connect speeds were changing radically every single time I tested it, going back and forth from speeds as fast as 16 Mbps to as slow as 1 Mbps. That undoubtedly had to have raised havoc with Apple TV's ability to download the movie. Since the speeds on my iMac were constant, something was happening to the signals that left my router. Is this a common wireless router problem, a common Airport Extreme problem, or a problem with my specific router? Techies out there might be able to tell us if such fluctuations in speed for those who connect wirelessly might in part contribute to the problems that caused all these threads.

Apple TV displaying the spinning buffering wheel while playing movies!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.