Previous 1 2 Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2011 11:42 AM by Christopher Spitler
boltthecolt1 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
I have just installed OSX server on my small network. I am using it as the destination for Time Machine Backups. My question is how do I prevent Time Machine over time using up all my server space for incremental backups? Can I impose a quota? Won't sparce images just continue to expand forever? When I was using external drives the partition size limited the expansion but on a server what happens?

thanks

Mark

MacMini, Mac OS X (10.6.5), Mac OSX server
  • Barney-15E Level 8 Level 8 (41,180 points)
    The only thing you can do is partition the drive so that TM can only use the space on that partition.
  • Bad Joss Level 1 Level 1 (120 points)
    What might work for you is a slightly adjusted setup as described in [this|http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20071108020121567] article.
  • Barney-15E Level 8 Level 8 (41,180 points)
    The quota part appears promising.
    I don't think the MAX_SIZE setting refers to the backup size but the max size of a file that it will back up.
  • Bad Joss Level 1 Level 1 (120 points)
    Barney-15E wrote:
    ... but the max size of a file that it will back up.


    No, creating a "limited size sparsebundle" effectively limits the size available to Time Machine for its backups. Time Machine will start deleting old backups sooner is all.

    Message was edited by: Bad Joss
  • Barney-15E Level 8 Level 8 (41,180 points)
    I was referring to the parts in the comments about using Time Machine's MaxSize option, not the sparse bundle size. Sorry, I misspelled it in my original response.

    Setting the sparse bundle limit should work as described, but seems a lot more trouble to set up for a network admin than setting a quota on the network share.
    If you're just handling your own or a couple users, and there is not a way to set quotas, limiting the sparse bundle size might be the only alternative.
  • Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,720 points)
    boltthecolt1 wrote:
    I have just installed OSX server on my small network. I am using it as the destination for Time Machine Backups. My question is how do I prevent Time Machine over time using up all my server space for incremental backups? Can I impose a quota?


    Since you're running Snow Leopard Server, yes. See page 241 of [Mac OS X Server User Management|http://images.apple.com/server/macosx/docs/UserManagementv10.6.pdf].

    Edit: Note that changing the maximum size of a sparse bundle won't "stick" on 10.6.3 or later; Time Machine now automatically increases it to the size of the volume it's on. See #A8 in [Time Machine - Troubleshooting|http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/Troubleshooting.html] (or use the link in *User Tips* at the top of this forum).

    Message was edited by: Pondini
  • Jolly Giant Level 7 Level 7 (25,440 points)
    wrong info - deleted

    edited by the Jolly Green Giant (where Green stands for environmentally friendly)
  • boltthecolt1 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Thanks for this. It looks like the solution though I have not implemented it. Read through the instructions and realised I need to read more more widely. As my setup stands it does not enable setting quotas like this. I get the impression I need to run some kind of centralised directory for users and computers. I'll do some reading rather than bother people here.

    Many thanks for your time and pointing me in the right direction.

    cheers

    Mark
  • aspherical Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Pondini wrote:
    Edit: Note that changing the maximum size of a sparse bundle won't "stick" on 10.6.3 or later; Time Machine now automatically increases it to the size of the volume it's on. See #A8 in [Time Machine - Troubleshooting|http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/Troubleshooting.html] (or use the link in *User Tips* at the top of this forum).


    There's a fix to stop Time Machine from auto-increasing the size. In Finder, view the package contents of the sparse bundle. Check the box that says "Locked" in Get Info for Info.plist and Info.bckup. Now Time Machine won't be able to increase the size and will continue to work the way it did pre-10.6.3.
  • Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,720 points)
    aspherical wrote:
    . . .
    There's a fix to stop Time Machine from auto-increasing the size. In Finder, view the package contents of the sparse bundle. Check the box that says "Locked" in Get Info for Info.plist and Info.bckup. Now Time Machine won't be able to increase the size and will continue to work the way it did pre-10.6.3.


    That didn't work for a lot of folks, including me, on 10.6.3 and 10.6.4. I just tried it on 10.6.6 and it did work.

    Do you know when it started to work, and whether it seems to work for everyone now?
  • Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,720 points)
    Further testing shows, on my Mac anyway, that you don't need to lock anything; TM did not automatically resize the sparse bundle ?!

    Can you confirm?
  • aspherical Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    On my Mac with 10.6.6, I can see in the Console log that Time Machine is still attempting to increase the size of the sparsebundle. The "lock" trick has been working for me ever since they changed Time Machine to auto resize.
  • Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,720 points)
    That's very strange.

    I booted up with a 10.6.5 clone, and it didn't try to increase the size, just as 10.6.6 didn't.

    I know 10.6.3 did on my Mac, and I don't think I tested on 10.6.4.

    Thanks for the response -- I just wish I knew what the heck it means.
  • Christopher Spitler Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Thanks for the tips guys. A few quick notes/questions: the info.plist file is the sparsebundle has a key inside the file labeled "size" and has the maximum size of my drive (2gb). Wouldn't I need to adjust this to say, 1GB to limit my time machine backups to 1gb, and then lock the plist file?
Previous 1 2 Next