12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2010 9:46 PM by mynameismyname
mynameismyname Level 1 Level 1
expertise.iphone
iPhone
On certain days, not every day, consistently when I use Mail (2.1.3) to send email to someone, and that someone replies ---- my quoted message shows up as a BLANK area, sometimes part of it is left blank, and sometimes only the words that were originally typed as bold would show up (in bold). When selecting the lines in that blank area --- it shows as if there IS some text, but colored white.... I once copied that "text" and pasted it into a new email message, and then colored it black (smart, huh?) -- but still no text showed up....

The recipients of my email must have received my text OK, since they respond to my text as normal....

This has happened consistently on certain days, and with several different recipients, not just one. So obviously the issue is with my program, not the recipients'....

Please help..... I must admit, the ONLY issues I've been having with my Mac lately -- are all with my Mail....

G5 Dual Core 2 GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 5 Gig RAM
  • BDAqua Level 10 Level 10
    Hmmm, in Mail>Preferences>Fonts & Colors>Color Quoted text, is that checked & can you change the color there for quoted text?

I'm suspecting right now it's from PC users, & last time I checked PCs & Macs used zero & 1 in opposite directions for Black & White.

If quoted text is set to Black change it to another color.
  • mynameismyname Level 1 Level 1
    expertise.iphone
    iPhone
    Yes, it is checked and kept as default, namely blue for level 1, green for 2 and red for 3.

And yes, the problematic replies are from PC, not Mac.

The issue is not colors, I believe.... That's why I tried copy and pasting and coloring in black those "blank" lines, but I still got nothing.....
    After you pasted it in a new Mail, did you again select all before trying to change the color?

Might try pasting it in Text Edit & changing color with it all highlighted.
    expertise.iphone
    iPhone
    Yes, pasting it into TextEdit is does all show up!.....

Back in Mail, pasting to new email message, I highlight all the text, and can actually see WHITE TRIPES where my old text was suppose to show up. Coloring it all black does not help...

So the text IS there, but Mail won't show it.....
    Hmmm, What happens if you paste the Text Edit changed text back into Mail?

What happens if you change the Font used while in Mail?
    expertise.iphone
    iPhone
    Pasting it back from TextEdit to a new Mail message -- same thing, my lines are missing.

BUT: Then highlighting everything and selecting a font to render all --- all the disappearing text shows up again. When I undo, and try to select those disappearing lines --- I can't 'cause they are the white stripes, as if nothing is there...

So it's an issue with fonts, I guess, not colors....
    Open Font Book in Applications, Validate the Fonts & check for duplicates.

When I undo, and try to select those disappearing lines --- I can't 'cause they are the white stripes, as if nothing is there...

Did you try just placing the cursor there & using CMD+a ?
    expertise.iphone
    iPhone
    Yes, for select all it's CMD-A.

I will have to check this issue of fonts duplicates..... Later.....

Thanks so far, Aqua!
    expertise.iphone
    iPhone
    I found few fonts which failed verification, but then they were not active.... However, I've deleted them altogether, and deleted their cache, so let's see what happens...

Thanks, Aqua.... I will keep it as unsolved yet.... Time will tell, since this can be OK one day and not OK the other day.....
    expertise.iphone
    iPhone
    One more question:

After verifying my fonts (I did it thru my font management app FontAgent Pro, and getting rid of a bunch of fonts (which -- as much as I know -- were NOT active anyhow), should I open those email replies and now see my quoted text? Or will it only apply to FUTURE replies?
    I'm thinking that if the Font Caches were cleared and/or you did a Safe Boot, that it would apply to the earlier ones.

Do you smell something burning?
    expertise.iphone
    iPhone
    ....So I can see now my quoted replies OK, but many of my fonts are deactivated, and the truth is I'm having some issues with my fonts.... I will have to spend some time seriously sifting thru my large pile of fonts, which are scattered all over the place, some Type 1, some TrueType and OpenType ones, a mess.

But as far as this particular issue -- it is solved.

Thanks again, Aqua.....