Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Parallel port to USB adapter

I'm trying to connect my venerable HP2100 printer to my new imac, but without success. I got a startech adapter which allows the computer to see the printer and vice-versa, OSX loaded the driver fine, but the printing information doesn't seem to get to the printer, which produces pages of nonsense amid many blank pages. Should I use a different adapter? Other solution? Junk the old war-horse printer?
thx, smh

imac, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 12, 2010 7:38 PM

5 replies

Dec 12, 2010 10:23 PM in response to smharris123

I think it might be time to retire the printer unless it has the ability to add a Jet DIrect card to it. Parallel to USB is iffy at best and IMHO not worth the time or expense. Printing technology has dramatically improved since you got your printer (its' got to be close to 10+ years old) which means, faster, cheaper, more capable devices. You may even be interested in wireless laser printers.

Best of luck,

Roger

Dec 13, 2010 4:51 AM in response to smharris123

Hi, I had the same problems and solved it; see my previous post:

''my problem was with my LJ4L only having a parallel printer port and my iMac only USB ports.

I wanted to continue with my LaserJet, as costs per page work out at less than 1 pence (1.5 UScents).
Bought a USB-Parallel cable at Maplins for £10 (US$ 15), connected printer, downloaded and installed USBTB freeware prog - 5 minutes later I was printing!
This solution should work for ALL LaserJets, I guess.
Snow Leopard has almost all LJet drivers.
See my more detailed answer elsewhere in the forum.'' <<

Hope this helps.
Seasons Greetings!

Dec 15, 2010 4:32 PM in response to smharris123

smharris123 wrote:
I'm afraid the answer is the first suggestion. I did download usbtb, but made no progress. SO, alas poor 2100, I knew ye well.....
thx, smh

You could also get a external print server (basically, what was previously mentioned as a JetDirect, but external instead of internal.) HP used to make an external JetDirect and other manufacturers make print servers. (I've used ones from Linksys and from D-Link for various printers including a HP2100.) While I'm reasonably confident that it would work (because you don't need any drivers in OSX to make the print server work) it does add some complexity, which may be a little intimidating to some and they cost somewhere between $50-$150. So it may be better off using the money toward a new printer. Besides, newer printers are much faster than that 2100 so the time savings may be worth it in the end.

Dec 15, 2010 5:34 PM in response to smharris123

HI,
sorry to hear that it did not work! Just to clarify, this is what I did, after which OS-X installed the correct Gutenberg driver:

The parallel port on the printer can either be a 25-pin D-shaped connector or a 36-pin Centronics style connector.
The iMac’s output is the USB port.
My printer is the HP LaserJet 4L.

Solution:
Purchased an adapter, e.g. Maplin’s A94BF USB to 25-pin Parallel Adapter, at around £15 ($20).
Googled for and downloaded the 180kb file ''usbtb-1.0.17.uni.dmg''
1. Connected the printer via the adapter with the iMac.
2. Added new printer in the Printer and Fax menu, selecting the driver from the drop-down list (i.e. HP LaserJet 4L – Gutenprint v.5.2.3)
3. Install the USBTB software. When the list of the USBTB’s drivers opens, only select a driver from it if one is shown for your printer. Otherwise ‘Cancel’ that operation. The previously installed Apple driver will be ok.
My LJ4L works ok under OS-X, Windows 7 in BootCamp and Windows 7 and XP in two Parallels-5 virtual modes on the iMac.
Good Luck

Parallel port to USB adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.