Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 Video and Optimizing in iMovie '11

I have noticed when I import video from most video cameras that i am presented the option to import at "Large" or "Full" size and that Apple recommends "Large". However, when I import video from my iPhone, it just imports is using iPhoto, and then I can later Optimize it if I choose. My question is, should I? How big of a quality gain are we talking about here given that the amount of space lost when optimizing is rather large?

iPhone, iPhone OS 3.1.2, MacBook

Posted on Dec 13, 2010 11:54 AM

2 replies

Dec 23, 2010 4:43 PM in response to Aelton

Full or Large applies to 1920x1080 cameras. Large imports at 960x540. Full imports at 1920x1080. Both of these sizes are converted to Apple Intermediate Codec.

When you import from iPhone, you are importing 1280x720, so Full vs Large is not an issue. If you optimize, you are converting the h.264 to Apple Intermediate Codec, which makes it much easier to edit at high definition sizes, and enables features like stabilization and fast and slow motion.

You can use iMovie to import from your iPhone. [See this MacWorld Article for details|http://www.macworld.com/article/155619/2010/11/import iphoneimovie.html]

iPhone 4 Video and Optimizing in iMovie '11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.