Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate photos/thumbnails

First off, I've tried searching on this problem and can't find a solution so here goes...

Upgraded to iLife 11 and hey presto, I have now got many duplicate photos in my library. Many of these are just thumbnails of the original file in the same event. but some have been placed in their own event! Any ideas on how to get rid of them or "hide" them? Also can I force a rebuild of the iPhoto library that it sometimes does it self once in a while?

MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 13, 2010 1:33 PM

11 replies

Dec 13, 2010 1:57 PM in response to Andy Eastwood

Upgraded to iLife 11 and hey presto, I have now got many duplicate photos in my library. Many of these are just thumbnails of the original file in the same event. but some have been placed in their own event! Any ideas on how to get rid of them or "hide" them? Also can I force a rebuild of the iPhoto library that it sometimes does it self once in a while?

Exactly How did you do this "upgrade" - what you are describing sounds like the result of importing an iPhoto library into another iPhoto library - to help it is important to know what you did to get to where you are

Do you have a backup of the iPhoto '09 library?

LN

Jan 2, 2011 11:01 AM in response to Andy Eastwood

Not sure if my situation is the same, but am observing duplicates after doing the following

1/ Copying the iphoto library to external drive (older iPhoto - not even sure what version it was!!)
2/ Fresh install of latest snow leapord and iLife11
3/ Import from library

What is extra odd is that the files are slightly different for the example below

-rw-r--r--@ 1 Jen staff 71440 Jan 1 23:49 ./01/02/20110102-011047/IMG_4196.jpg
-rw-r--r--@ 1 Jen staff 71095 Jan 1 19:44 ./01/02/20110102-005608/IMG_4196.jpg

I am now going to check and see if the external library had the dups to begin with, but wanted to post....

Do I have to buy software to remove dups?

FYI, my library is fairly big - nearly 50k files although not sure how many are dups!!!

Jan 2, 2011 11:22 AM in response to poelliej

3/ Import from library

You never import an iPhoto library into another iPhoto library

quit iPhoto and drag the existing bad library to the desktop and then drag the old library intact as a single entity from the EHD to the pictures folder of the computer and launch iPhoto That is how you do it and all you have to do - nothing else needed

LN

Duplicate photos/thumbnails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.