Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

strange restarting after full screen video

Hey everyone. I have a four years and running original MacBook (the Intel Core Duo version) and i've begun to notice a very strange problem with my computer. It seems to arbitrarily restart with no warning and notice when i go into full screen video. At first i thought this problem was related to the program VLC specifically, but it just happened again when I tried to watch some video on the web (from the "Conan" show) and went into full screen mode.
This problem baffles me and it really bothers me that i have no chance to save/backup my work when it happens. Has anyone else experienced this?

Quin

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 2gb, 2 ghz Intel Core Duo, 500gb 7200 rpm hard disk

Posted on Dec 14, 2010 2:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2010 4:21 AM

I have this exact same issue. This usually happens when I'm going into full screen from a internet video like hulu and tbs. I bought my MacBook Pro about 3 years ago and it started doing this about a month ago. It's super annoying. 😟 I want to watch Conan in peace too, with out these random restarts.
22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2010 4:21 AM in response to jadecricket

I have this exact same issue. This usually happens when I'm going into full screen from a internet video like hulu and tbs. I bought my MacBook Pro about 3 years ago and it started doing this about a month ago. It's super annoying. 😟 I want to watch Conan in peace too, with out these random restarts.

Feb 8, 2011 8:36 PM in response to jadecricket

I am having this issue as well. 3 1/2 year old MacBook, 2 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, OSX 10.6.6

Happened at work a few days ago when viewing embedded video content in full screen. Running on my desk, flat surface. Just happened again tonight again going into full screen in Quicktime, this time on my lap. Thought it might be an issue with the fans not kicking on but when it restarted they started spinning.

Was trying to hold out for the next MacBook Pro refresh but might have to upgrade sooner since I'm out of warranty. 😟

Feb 12, 2011 8:53 PM in response to greyongray

I have the exact same issues. It seems to be a problem with our generation of MacBook Pros. I bought mine in July of 2007. It's Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 120GB hard drive. I actually had an issue with my logic board last year. My screen would freeze and the colors would turn rainbow-like. I took it to Apple and they replaced my graphics card for free because it was a known hardware issue. So my computer was fine for a while until this full-screen video restart thing started happening. It's almost guaranteed to happen every time I enter full screen mode with iChat video, Internet video, even when I play Angry Birds (I guess cause it's a full-screen game). I'll probably take my computer into the Apple store at the end of the semester, but it'd be nice if Apple could release a software update that addresses this problem. I'm hoping it's software related and not a hardware issue.

Feb 21, 2011 6:52 AM in response to getmilton

Good news, everyone! There's a solution to your problem and it won't cost you a dime. I took my MBP 15 in. (which I bought in July of 2007) into the Apple Store this past Saturday. They ran some tests and it turned out the NVIDIA graphics card/logic board they replaced for me last Summer was faulty! The Genius told me he's seen the same thing happen to other MBPs that have had the logic board replacement, so this new one could potentially crap out down the road. I guess it's just poorly manufactured hardware and it's no longer being produced, so we're stuck with it until we decide to buy a new computer. By the way, the reason the whole logic board needs to be replaced is only because the graphics card is attached to the logic board. The rest of the logic board is fine. Anyway, he explained to me that there was a class action lawsuit against NVIDIA for the crappy graphics cards they sold Apple for MBPs of our generation. The proceeds from the lawsuit are used to cover the costs of replacing our logic boards. Therefore, if you take your MBP to the Apple Store they'll repair your logic board for free as many times as you need. Yes, it's annoying that I had to have the replacement done twice, but at least it didn't cost me anything (except time). I brought my MBP in on Saturday and I picked it up on Sunday. So far, so good. Obviously I'll post a new message if the soft reboot issue starts happening again...

Feb 21, 2011 9:10 AM in response to getmilton

Nope! I didn't purchase Apple Care either. Just walk in and describe the problem you're having. They'll plug in one of their graphics card test devices and determine that yours isn't working, then they'll tell you they can replace it for free because it's a known defect. I assure you it's not necessary to have purchased Apple Care to be eligible for the free replacement service. Make an appointment as soon as you can if you want your computer fixed.

Feb 21, 2011 6:26 PM in response to Chimera55

Went to the Apple Store. GPU passed the store tests. I did not complete any other hardware tests because i couldn't exactly recreate the system conditions at the time of the crash. Genius suggested a software cause to my experience and advised me to complete a system reinstall of Snow Leopard. I still filed with the lawsuit. Not sure i want to part ways with my laptop for 2-4 weeks.

Feb 21, 2011 7:46 PM in response to getmilton

Alright guys, so I thought my MBP was fixed, but I spoke too soon. I just woke it up from sleep about an hour ago and it soft restarted again. So it's officially NOT the graphics card. I guess my graphics card was faulty by coincidence when I went into Apple and they just assumed it was the cause of my problems. Back to square one. This is ********!

Mar 3, 2011 5:54 PM in response to jadecricket

Same problem here. Same generation MBP. This seems to happen to me while playing a full screen video. It does not always happen and is impossible to tell. I do notice that it almost always happens while in full screen and increasing the volume. Has anybody else taken this to the Apple store to replace the logic board. I have already had this replaced as mine gave out a few months ago and the screen wouldn't even display.

strange restarting after full screen video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.