Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moving Mail from one computer to another

I am the proud owner of a new 11" Macbook Air, and I'm in the process of transferring my files from my old 13" MBA. I'm not using Migration Assistant because of some systemic problems I've been having - I don't want to move the problem over to my new Mac & would rather start fresh.

I found this link about moving Mail "manually":

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12010148&#12010148

This successfully transferred all the folders I had on my old Mac, which is great - but my inboxes aren't there, and my accounts aren't set up. Do I still have to set up my accounts manually?

Also, is there any need to follow this instruction if I moved my "On My Mac" folders over via a network:

You will also need to copy the /Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist from the MBA to the same location on the iMac.

Thanks very much for any guidance...

MacBook Air, iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 14, 2010 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2010 8:11 AM

The preferences file contains your account details - so yes, you'll need it.

By the way, if you use IMAP mail (most mail providers offer it currently), there's no need to copy mail physically from machine to machine - it'll all sync up on the server. You can store mail in folders on the server, and they'll appear on the other machine when you set up your account.

Matt
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2010 8:11 AM in response to Gretchen Daniel1

The preferences file contains your account details - so yes, you'll need it.

By the way, if you use IMAP mail (most mail providers offer it currently), there's no need to copy mail physically from machine to machine - it'll all sync up on the server. You can store mail in folders on the server, and they'll appear on the other machine when you set up your account.

Matt

moving Mail from one computer to another

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.