Skip navigation

Cleaning my iMac's bluetooth keyboard

6861 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2011 10:07 AM by Tara602 RSS
1 2 Previous Next
Doug_S Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 14, 2010 12:10 PM
So yesterday my keyboard decided to take a bath in some OJ. I cleaned it up with a damp cloth as best I could and then turned it upside down on a cloth until just a few moments ago. I played with the keys a bit and they feel... Crunchy. Basically, it's gotta be rather sticky inside.

I need a way to clean this thing.

At this point, I'm considering just running warm water over it for a while and then dropping it in a bag of rice for a few days. I can't think of another way to guarantee I clean the inside out.

Luckily, I have a wired keyboard from before I got my iMac so there's nothing stoping me from using it.

What do you guys think? Stupid idea? Better idea?
iMac11,3, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • rkaufmann87 Level 8 Level 8 (40,615 points)
    Dec 14, 2010 12:30 PM (in response to Doug_S)
    If OJ got inside it I'd give it a good funeral and kiss it goodbye. Don't run water over it but you can wipe the outside and then let is sit in a bag of rice for several days and hope. The problem is that OJ has a lot of sugar in it, sugar is a death knell to electronics. That being said if you do need to replace it I saw that OWC (www.macsales.com) has some on sale right now and you can also try shopping at Ebay if you enjoy that experience.

Best of luck,

Roger
    iMac and Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5), iPhone 3GS Airport Extreme Airport Express
  • baltwo Level 9 Level 9 (59,160 points)
    Dec 14, 2010 12:45 PM (in response to Doug_S)
    GIven that Apple wired keyboards are usually under $50, I'd go with them.
    27" iMac i7 12 GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.5), G4 450 MP GB 1.5 GB RAM w/(10.5.8/10.4.11/9.2.2)
    Dec 14, 2010 12:55 PM (in response to baltwo)
    Well it's kind of moot because the OP wants a wireless keyboard but I think OWC was selling the current wired keyboards for about $29.
    iMac and Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5), iPhone 3GS Airport Extreme Airport Express
    Dec 14, 2010 1:03 PM (in response to Doug_S)
    Yup $20 is $20. I did a quick search, seems like the OWC deal is the best deal out there right now.'

FWIW I did the search using a Safari plugin called PriceBlink.
    Dec 14, 2010 1:06 PM (in response to Doug_S)
    I ran it under warm water (tried to stay away from the power button and battery container, which I emptied last night anyway) for a couple of minutes as I fiddled with the keys and a few came unstuck. That was good. It feels more normal now.

Now let's see if the rice and plastic wrap (didn't have a bag big enough) can do it's work. Stay tuned...

Nothing to lose but everything to gain if it works. We'll keep our fingers X'd for you.
    Dec 14, 2010 1:16 PM (in response to Doug_S)
    Sorry, I missed that you had a previous wired one. I prefer them and especially like the extended keypad ones, and don't like mucking with battery-powered items, if I can help it. I didn't check the prices on what OWC was selling them for.
    27" iMac i7 12 GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.5), G4 450 MP GB 1.5 GB RAM w/(10.5.8/10.4.11/9.2.2)
  • Malibu Flyer Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Dec 14, 2010 5:09 PM (in response to rkaufmann87)
    I need to add a wired keyboard for my new 27" iMac. I checked out the OWC site but noticed the ones they are selling are used......does anyone have any experience with OWC "used" products?
    I bought my additional memory from OWC and had a good experience but i don't know about their used products.
    Love to hear from anybody who has bought used keyboards from them. Is there much risk for the $20 savings vs. a new one from Apple?
    27" imac, 12 gigs, i5 quad, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
    Dec 14, 2010 5:24 PM (in response to Malibu Flyer)
    I can't say I've bought anything used from them however they are a reputable firm. I am sure they test them before selling but don't take it from me, contact them through one of online chat sessions and ask. You can find the Chats in the Contact Us link at the bottom of their home page, they seem to be available 24/7.

I no sooner sent this post and got an email from OWC letting me know they're having a garage sale. Here is the link they provided:

http://list.macsales.com/link.php?M=103216&N=683&L=2003&F=T

Message was edited by: rkaufmann87
    Dec 14, 2010 7:03 PM (in response to Malibu Flyer)
    Scroll down further and you'll find new ones for $35.
  • Malibu Flyer Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Dec 14, 2010 9:15 PM (in response to baltwo)
    I guess I will need to call OWC......the only keyboard I found when I scrolled down was another used keyboard for $35.....i guess it was one in better condition.

Silly to speculate .............I'll just give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
    Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)
1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.