Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OCZ Vertex 2 Firmware Update

I'm sorry to ask this question here on Apple site but getting nowhere going through OCZ.

I have an OCZ Vertex 2 drive as my Boot drive on my Mac Pro but it needs the new firmware installing and for the life of me I can't get ANYTHING to see it. I've tried using Boot Camp on my Mac Pro but that doesn't see the drive and I've tried Parallels on a MacBook Pro with it attached via a USB Dock but nothing.

Surely I don't have to buy a PC just to update the firmware? I've had Corsair in the past and I've had no issues at all updating.

MBA 11", MBP 15" i5, MP 2.80 2010, Mac OS X (10.6.5), iPad 64Gb 3G

Posted on Dec 14, 2010 12:30 PM

31 replies

Dec 14, 2010 2:58 PM in response to The hatter

Thanks for that but unfortunately that's not an option. They only provide a utility that you run within Windows. It just doesn't see any SSD despite it showing up fine in Windows itself in both Bootcamp and Parallels.

It's really frustrating because the first generation Vertex has a Mac firmware upgrade utility so I can't understand why they have ignored the Mac completely in this case.

Dec 15, 2010 12:35 AM in response to Infotech 24 7

******************************************************************************** **********************
..........the first generation Vertex has a Mac firmware upgrade utility............
******************************************************************************** **********************

I was intrigued by this remark, because I have a Vertex EX SLC SSD (first generation), which has v1.3 firmware (equivalent to v1.4 on other Vertex SSDs), and I contacted OCZ in February this year, because I wanted to upgrade to v1.5 firmware, and I got nowhere.

This was my last outgoing email in a series of interchanges:-

I have received and installed the Vertex EX, and it is 1.3.

Can you please advise me how to update this to 1.5FW, which you recommend, because from what I have read on the Apple Discussions Forum threads, other OCZ SSD users have reported that it is not possible to update the firmware of their SSDs on a 2009 Nehalem Mac Pro. These are typical comments:
________________________________________________________________________________ ___________________
like my 1st gen Intels, I haven't been able to update the firmware on my OCZ's. I thought it was my fault for doing something wrong but in one article I read it's simply not something one can do on their 09 MPs. The iso disk one downloads then burns to a disk to begin the update process simply won't boot on our Macs. And if we can't boot from it, we can't update it.
I'd think there was a good chance though that they are sending you an updated disk. Even if it's a 1.4 disk is better than 1.3 which is where I am.

Ok, too much I know. Check this out for why I'm leery about OCZ updates. Personally I've tried several times to use their updates, not just for 1.5. I simply can't boot from the disks I create. But I'd love to hear from someone who an 09 who has. Before I was told I needed Windows or just a PC to make the upgrade. I was told that from an OCZ rep. Right... I'm really going to do that. But then reading this I decided to forget it all together. Just not worth the headache for something that may not work or work poorly anyway.
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/jan10/012810.html#S26528
________________________________________________________________________________ __________________

The guy who posted the above comments is a very experienced Mac user, and has 3 OCZ SSDs and 3 Intel SSDs in his set-up, and has no problem updating the Intel firmware. He also has exactly the same Mac as me - an 8 Core 2.93Ghz 2009 Nehalem Mac Pro.

So, is there, or is there not, a way for me to update the firmware of the Vertex EX to 1.5, because I have only the 2009 Nehalem Mac Pro, and I do not use Windows at all? Nor will I ever be using Windows or PCs.
******************************************************************************** ***********************

This was the last reply I received from OWC:

******************************************************************************** ***********************
1.3 on the EX drives = 1.4 revision on the other drives.

Have you tried to boot with one of the update CD's?

Let me see if I can find a solution, the problem being that the program that checks the SSD for the proper FW, has to be able to write the file somewhere. This is done through a ramdisk, which is part of the boot on the CD.

In the absence of any further communication from OCZ, I had assumed that there was no solution.

So please can you tell me more about the first generation Vertex SSDs' Mac firmware upgrade facility?

And will it work with a 2009 Nehalem Mac Pro?

If it will, surely OCZ Tech Support should have known this!

Regards,

Bill

Dec 15, 2010 12:45 AM in response to Biltan-Wales

It looks like you have to use a Linux Flash Drive or CD solution to update Firmware on Mac but it's not for the faint hearted which is very disappointing and I'll certainly be avoiding OCZ drives in the future as a Mac user. If you go to http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?79848-THE-BASIC-GUIDE-amp -FAQ-ABC-for-OCZ-SSD&p=567559&viewfull=1#post567559 you can TRY and follow the solution and I'll be having a go this evening and report back.

As far as the earlier drives having a Mac update, take a look at http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssdtools/OCZ_Vertex,_Agility,_Vertex_Turbo,_Vertex_EX,_Solid2/ as that appears to indicate the download works with OS X.

Good luck.

Dec 15, 2010 2:58 AM in response to Biltan-Wales

You know what, I've just wasted 2 hours of my life trying to figure out how to update this firmware and I'm starting to think SSD is just a world of pain. They update the firmware regularly to fix SO many issues such as sleep issues and if you're on a Mac, Sandforce SSD drives are just not meant to be. They provide no easy way of updating them and it looks like the only safe way is to RMA them so that they do it for you.

The only other advice I've found is try formatting the drive Master Boot Record NTFS and then run the update...from a PC or a Boot CD which I can't figure out at all. I'm fairly technical and have been in IT for over 20 years and it's REALLY testing my patience. OCZ's forums are an absolute spiders web of garbage for geeks-r-us. Why on earth can't they just provide a simple updater or 1 page with step by step instructions? They send you off all over the place to install this, download that, create so and so. God my head is hurting. At least the SSD in my MacBook Air will be straightforward thanks to Apple.

Dec 15, 2010 3:02 PM in response to thanon

I'd already seen the pattern that updating the firmware with a Mac formatted drive appears to be the issue but I'm waiting on a 2nd drive to arrive (should have been here today but a bit of snow over a week ago has ground the UK transport infrastructure to a halt) to try it on that first before I blow away my main drive. I'll report back when I've had chance to try it out.

Dec 16, 2010 11:46 AM in response to Infotech 24 7

Ok, I've finally got it sorted but I have another peculiar issue now.

Firstly, it's easy to upgrade the firmware, you just have to have the drive (or a portion of it) formatted as NTFS. Pain in the neck as it means every firmware update means a clean install or a Carbon Copy Clone. All these long winded ways upgrading the firmware, why they can't just tell you it has to be NTFS and leave it at that.

My new issue however, the latest firmware on the website is 1.24. The firmware on my new Vertex2 that arrived today, 1.25. So, do I wait for a 1.25 online before raiding the 2 drives or have a 1.24 & 1.25 raided knowing that any day I'll have to blitz the stupid things again?

Interestingly, the new Vertex2 is half height although it doesn't mention that anywhere on the box or the site I ordered it from.

Message was edited by: Infotech 24 7

Dec 16, 2010 3:57 PM in response to William248

You need Bootcamp or you can't run the update without going through the **** of 200 step geek instructions. If you have Bootcamp you just need to boot from Windows, format the drive NTFS (non-compressed) then you run the downloadable Firmware updater. Then re-install your entire system.

To be honest, the blame seems to be with Sandforce because this ignore the Mac users seems to affect all Sandforce firmware updates.

It's all incredibly frustrating. Starts to make the $500 Apple SSD's look good value in saved time alone.

Dec 17, 2010 12:37 PM in response to thanon

IT IS NOT NONSENSE thank you very much. You are making a VERY big assumption that someone would waste some of their 120Gb SSD on Boot Camp. Anyone with half a brain would use one of the other drive bays in their Mac Pro to install Boot Camp. READ the posts before you make condescending comments thank you.

FACT remains, if you want to update a Sandforce SSD there MUST be an NTFS partition. This means that if you are using one of the other drives for Boot Camp you will have to blow away your SSD.

Dec 17, 2010 12:36 PM in response to William248

If you don't have Boot Camp you can't update. VMWare and Parallels don't work with the utility. There are other work arounds such as creating bootable disks but you will have to at the very least create a small NTFS partition on your Vertex to be able to update it.

In a nutshell, Sandforce SSD's can only be updated if they are NTFS formatted. That can be all the drive or a small partition, but it has to have an NTFS partition to be seen by the updater.

OCZ Vertex 2 Firmware Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.