Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set up a VPN to my home

Hi

I would like to VPN (or other access) to my home DG834G Router then into my attached NAS (Iomega Home Network Drive) to access the files there.

Can I do this?
I have a macbook which I would use to access the NAS while away.

Keep it simple please.
Many Thanks
Stuart

Mac Book, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 14, 2010 3:08 PM

7 replies

Dec 15, 2010 1:25 AM in response to Stuart Marden

Stuart, I'm afraid your model of router doesn't support vpn server capability in native firmware by Netgear. However you can 'reflash' your router using the OpenWRT project.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start#netgear

This will give you vpn dial-in capability.. If you dont want to do that, then your options are somewhat limited to the following.

1. Buy a new router which supports VPN dial-in *Draytek Models do*
2. Build a separate VPN server and put it behind your Netgear router and setup Port forwarding (I would suggest an OpenVPN based on since they're the most straight forward to use on a Mac).

If you need any help doing this, I can assist, the above assumes some intermediate networking knowledge and having been through this kind of thing myself a good few times, I can help.

Regards
dan

Dec 16, 2010 6:49 PM in response to Stuart Marden

I don't have the product, but there is at least one commercialware product, called iVPN, that is supposed to provide a GUI interface into the VPN daemon built into the bowels of the unix stuff on your computer. That would set up a VPN server, to which you could port forward the necessary ports for VPN service in your router. Go to macupdate.com or versiontracker.com or similar and do a search on iVPN or just VPN.

Also, I wouldn't use FTP over the internet. It is not encrypted, including password. Enable remote login in your computer (that is ssh), port forward port 22 in the router to the computer. Then use sftp (commands are the same as ftp but it is encrypted with ssh). There are GUI programs available for the remote client to make sftp connections. That would at least get you to the one computer, although not the home network at large like you could with a VPN.

You should get a free host name from noip.com or dyndns.com or similar. Install their dynamic DNS updater application on the VPN server or ssh/sftp server computer. Actually, some routers have built-in support for dynamic DNS services like dyndns.com so you wouldn't have to install a dynamic DNS updater. Then you don't need to worry about what IP address to use.

Jan 25, 2011 12:16 PM in response to Stuart Marden

Just to clear things up, do you have a computer that sits off of the router at home while you are away and using your macbook pro? If not, then iVPN will not work for you since the remote end cannot be a server. The same goes for setting up your computer for sftp. If the NAS has an sftp function, then you could configure the router to forward port 22 to the NAS IP address. Once that was done you could access it from on the road by using an sftp client to connect to your public ip address (the one that your cable/dsl modem is assigned)

How to set up a VPN to my home

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.