Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple id = ichat login?

hi,

so i was trying to set up my ichat account, it took me to the page to create an apple id. i already have an apple id, which is a hotmail address (requested by apple recently to change my id to my email add).

obviously am not able to log into ichat using my apple id (a hotmail add)..so is registering another apple id with another email the only way to use ichat?

any help will be appreciated..

macbook pro 13", Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Dec 14, 2010 6:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2010 6:43 PM

(55492)
6 replies

Dec 15, 2010 3:15 PM in response to sparkslast

Hi,

so is registering another apple id with another email the only way to use ichat?

It is one way.
The other is the way Niel has responded (AIM Name)

It used to be that the @mac.com registration was just that - a Name solely for the purposes of iChat and the page had an Option for making it an Apple ID.

It is only recently (last couple of months) that it has become a Apple ID site.

User uploaded file

11:15 PM Wednesday; December 15, 2010

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

Dec 28, 2010 1:08 PM in response to spademoye

Hi,

I am not sure if you mean the AIM Registration page ( Start Top Right)

Or if you mean the @Mac.com page

There can be issues now with the @Mac.com page if the Link Email address you want to use is already in use for another Apple ID.

User uploaded file

9:08 PM Tuesday; December 28, 2010

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

apple id = ichat login?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.