Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad and exchange server

I synch my exchange email with the iPad and my laptop, which is W7/outlook. Currently when I delete a message from my iPad, it deletes off of my server account. I'd like for the messages to be retained on the server so that I have them on my laptop, but be deleted off of the iPad. I believe there used to be a setting for this; however, I'm unable to locate that setting on the iPad.

iPad, iOS 4

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 11:10 AM

1 reply

Dec 15, 2010 3:39 PM in response to riebo

I've seen a "leave messages on server" for POP accounts, but not for Exchange accounts. One of the "features" of Exchange was to have multiple client apps (i.e.: Outlook) all in sync. You want to purposefully have your devices not-in-sync.

I suggest you create an "archive" folder, then rather than deleting a message, you move it to the archive folder. (Yes, sub folders you create in Outlook can be seen on the iPad, and yes, messages can be moved from the iPad.) I normally suggest this to my clients because it's all to easy to empty the deleted items folder, then have an "oops" moment. Then once a year (or sooner) do a "spring cleaning" and purge any old messages from the archive folder. This archive folder would be visible on the ipad as well as any other computer that can connect the Exchange, so your message would be in the same place on every computer and iPad and "spring cleaning" can be done from any computer or the iPad. And this also has the "feature" of clearing out your inbox, which IMHO, most people have their inbox way too cluttered anyway so even this one archive folder organizing is a good thing. 🙂

iPad and exchange server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.