Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Extreme and AT&T/2Wire

My AT&T-supplied 2Wire wifi router/modem doesn't have sufficient range to let us use our laptops throughout our house. AT&T and 2Wire tech support folks were completely unhelpful--2Wire finally did tell me that I could probably extend my wifi range by adding an Airport Extreme, but to do so I would have to put the 2Wire router in bridge mode, "and if you do this you are on your own, because we don't support using the router in bridge mode."

A visit to the Genius Bar ended with me being told that Apple simply could not give me any assurance that an Airport Extreme could be used with my 2Wire device.

Thankfully, I recently discovered that the Airport Extreme itself can be put in bridge mode, and thus set up a separate (and much stronger) wireless network, working with the 2Wire router. The setup took no more than a couple of minutes, and it's working perfectly. This is a great solution for all us AT&T DSL customers who are suffering from a weak wifi network. I'm only surprised that the folks at my local Genius Bar weren't able to point me in this direction.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 2:42 PM

5 replies

Dec 15, 2010 3:15 PM in response to wyomingblue

Welcome to the discussion area, wyominglblue!

Glad that you got things figured out. Until I read your complete post, I was guessing that you were looking for a way to "extend" the wireless network of the 2Wire using wireless only. Almost all of the questions we get on the forum are from folks who want a stronger wireless signal, but don't want to use an ethernet connection to do so.

Although you never specifically mention "how" you set this up, that would be our guess, correct?

Since you mention that this is great solution, but don't tell us what it is, would you consider sharing your knowledge with other users who may be having the same kind of issue that you were facing before you found the solution?

In other words, tell us what problem you faced, and how you solved it.

Many thanks.

Dec 16, 2010 5:21 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Sorry, guess I wasn't specific enough about what my problem and the solution.

Basically, the 2Wire router/modem supplied by AT&T with our DSL account didn't give us adequate wifi coverage throughout our house. My first thought was to buy a wireless wifi extender. (I always take an Airport Express with my for business travel, but I knew that the AE will not work as an extender for any wireless router except the Apple Airport Extreme.) I ordered a wifi extender from Amazon, one that was touted as being compatible with Macs and with virtually all wireless routers (sorry, I don't recall the brand or the model of the extender). When it arrived, I quickly discovered that it was in fact compatible with neither my Macintosh computers nor my 2Wire router.

My next step was a visit to my local Genius Bar to try to ascertain whether it would be feasible to use an Airport Extreme base station--connected via ethernet--with my 2Wire router. The Airport Extreme is claimed to have very good signal strength, and I thought that if necessary, I would also be able to use my Airport Express as a wifi extender. The folks at the Genius Bar did their best, but after almost an hour they said they just couldn't be confident that this approach would work.

I spent a LONG time talking with tech support people at both AT&T and 2Wire. After several hours and several calls, 2Wire support finally told me that in fact it might be possible to connect an Airport Extreme to my 2Wire router, but that I would have to put the 2Wire device in bridge mode--which they said they don't support. In fact, here is what their email said:

"You will have to put the 2wire into bridge mode for it to work with the Airport Express

These directions for enabling bridged mode are to only be used by customers with the prior knowledge that any configuration issues or problems that arise during the use of bridged mode are not supported. 2Wire Technical Support can only support a HomePortal when it is fully functioning as a router.

There is a factory reset on the back of the HomePortal. It is a red dot located between the Ethernet port(s) and the USB port (on some models the USB port is not available). Press and hold the button with a paper clip for 10 seconds. This will reset the HomePortal to factory state. Also, on this particular model, it is required that you reset the HomePortal this way before the bridge mode setup will work. Once you have done this, follow the steps below:

1. Browse to http://gateway.2wire.net/management
2. Click on Configure under Broadband Link
3. Enter VPI 0 and VCI 35
4. Click on Disable PVC Search
5. Set Connection Type to Direct IP
6. Click Submit/Save
7. Click on Configure Services under Advanced
8. Uncheck Enable Routing
9. Click Submit

To disable bridge mode simply reset the HomePortal back to factory and reconfigure with the user identification information provided by your ISP.

I do have to let you know that while this can be done, it is not recommended, as the bridging function was put in there for testing purposes and not for general use. It can be done, but cannot be guaranteed to (though it should) function properly for your purposes. If you wish to do it, you can, but the HomePortal is not supported if it is in bridging mode."

I found this a little scary (raised fears of ending up with a non-functioning 2Wire router), and as a result I did not try this approach.

But then an acquaintance told me that the Airport Extreme can easily be put in bridge mode, and then used to create a new wifi network while still using the 2Wire router--essentially creating a second wireless network. I bought an Airport Extreme, connected it to my computer, and opened the Airport Utility.

With my Airport Extreme selected in Airport Utility, I clicked "Manual Setup" toward the bottom of the window, then clicked the "Internet" icon that appears at the top of the next window. After clicking the "Internet" icon, the Internet Connection tab appeared. At the bottom of this window, there is an option for "Connection Sharing." I clicked on this popup menu and selected "Off (Bridge Mode)." At this point I had pretty much accomplished what I needed. However, to configure the bridge, I then clicked on the Airport icon at the top of the window, and then clicked on Wireless--here you can rename the Base Station, choose your Wireless Security setup, and create or reset your Wireless Password.

Finally, I clicked on "Update" in the lower right corner of the window. The Airport Extreme base station began to restart. I disconnected my base station from the ether net port on my computer and then plugged in an ethernet cable from my 2Wire router into the Broadband port of my Airport Extreme. After the Airport Extreme finished restarting, everything was working exactly as I had hoped. Our computers detected both wireless networks--the 2Wire network and the Apple Airport Extreme network--and we were pleased to find that the signal coverage provided by the Airport Extreme was much, much better!

I only wish I'd known it would be this simple a long time ago!

Jack

Dec 17, 2010 12:49 AM in response to wyomingblue

when i had dsl with a 2 wire 2200bg i didnt do the instructions in the other posts to this thread, but i was able to score the bridge mode activation key
and entered it. when i used the bridge mode activation key it basically made the entire modem brain dead as far as anything besides routing allowing the airport extreme to take over completely. when i swtiched from dsl to uverse, i had to switch modems and use the dmz strategy.

i might be the only at&t customer that actually used that strategy, judging from the standard responses.

but it works.

i just don't remember what activation key i used!

check with 2wire!!

522P-22P4-6262-22AT-F2NV
Most Likely: Your Internet connection uses PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet). In this case, you would have been given a username and password to set up the connection.
522P-22P4-2E62-22AT-F27W
Less Likely: Your service provider has provided you with a static IP (Internet Protocol) address to set up your Internet connection.
522P-22P4-2262-22AT-F2L3
Less Likely: Your broadband connection uses DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).
522P-22P4-A222-22AT-F24N
Unlikely Your Internet connection uses PPPoA (Point-to-Point Protocol over ATM).

Apple Extreme and AT&T/2Wire

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.