Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto pictures as file attachments in email

Does anyone know how to attach picture files from iPhoto in an email. No matter what I try, the picture gets imbedded in the email instead of as a file attachment. I am new to Apple and Mac having done Windows all my life. Thank you.

iMac i5, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 3:07 PM

5 replies

Dec 15, 2010 3:36 PM in response to BobDe

If you Control click on the photos you can select Display as Icon. But that only affects your email client and not the recipient's. If the recipient's email client is set to not display photos the photos will show as icons. You don't have control over their client.

The only way to have the photos not be displayed is to export them out of iPhoto and zip/compress them by Control-clicking and selecting the "Compress ..." option.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

The recipient will then download and unzip the file to get the photo files.

User uploaded file Happy Holidays

Dec 28, 2010 7:32 PM in response to BobDe

I was searching for a solution to this same problem. I came across a link to the Lokiware Mail Attachments Iconizer: http://lokiware.info/Mail-Attachments-Iconizer. I downloaded today and all my photos I sent via iphoto 9 showed up as attachments perfectly.

I'm normally too cheap to buy plug-ins, but after spending a Christmas weekend trying to help parents and in-laws save pictures of grandkids, this may be money well spent.

Good luck!

iPhoto pictures as file attachments in email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.