5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2010 12:23 PM by Old Toad
BobDe Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Does anyone know how to attach picture files from iPhoto in an email. No matter what I try, the picture gets imbedded in the email instead of as a file attachment. I am new to Apple and Mac having done Windows all my life. Thank you.

iMac i5, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (122,335 points)
    If you Control click on the photos you can select Display as Icon. But that only affects your email client and not the recipient's. If the recipient's email client is set to not display photos the photos will show as icons. You don't have control over their client.

The only way to have the photos not be displayed is to export them out of iPhoto and zip/compress them by Control-clicking and selecting the "Compress ..." option.

Click to view full size

The recipient will then download and unzip the file to get the photo files.

Happy Holidays
  • Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (129,355 points)
    Or, send Plain Text emails. In Mail that's in the Format menu.

Regards

TD
  • TexChek Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I was searching for a solution to this same problem. I came across a link to the Lokiware Mail Attachments Iconizer: http://lokiware.info/Mail-Attachments-Iconizer. I downloaded today and all my photos I sent via iphoto 9 showed up as attachments perfectly.

I'm normally too cheap to buy plug-ins, but after spending a Christmas weekend trying to help parents and in-laws save pictures of grandkids, this may be money well spent.

Good luck!
  • Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (129,355 points)
    You understand that <Mail Attachments Iconizer - which I use btw- makes no difference to how photos are received. It only affects how the attachments appear on your Mail Window when you're creating the message.

Regards

TD
  • Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (122,335 points)
    You can get the same results by selecting the photos in the email, Control-click and select 'View as icon" from the contextual menu.

Click to view full size

However, as Terence pointed out that only affects how it appears in your email window, not the clients.

Happy New Year